Firefox update 87.0-3 breaks Bookmark Menu

I take advantage of the presence of all Canonical people here :wink: to ask when browsers snaps (Chromium, FF) will allow to use GNOME Integration add-on which make it possible to install extensions?

I know it’s somewhat off-topic but that point makes an user unable to install any extension in a cool way… (Is there an easy way I don’t know except website? There was Tweak Tool & Ubuntu Software. RIP.) This question has been asked some time ago, but without success.

About the /usr/share picking issue.
Under X11, I can access it:

So, if access to /usr/share is not intended, that’s a confinment issue.

- firefox
notes:               
  private:           false
  confinement:       strict
  devmode:           false
  jailmode:          false
  trymode:           false
  enabled:           true
  broken:            false
  ignore-validation: false
base:         core18
snap-id:      3wdHCAVyZEmYsCMFDE9qt92UV8rC8Wdk
tracking:     latest/beta
refresh-date: aujourd'hui à 08h21, heure des Rocheuses
channels:
  latest/stable:    87.0-3      2021-03-25 (512) 153MB -
  latest/candidate: 87.0-3      2021-03-22 (512) 153MB -
  latest/beta:      88.0b5-1    2021-03-30 (518) 154MB -
  latest/edge:      ↑                                  
  esr/stable:       78.9.0esr-1 2021-03-22 (513) 148MB -
  esr/candidate:    ↑                                  
  esr/beta:         ↑                                  
  esr/edge:         ↑                                  
installed:          88.0b5-1               (518) 154MB -

confined access to /usr/share is fine as long as the snap uses the desktop portal as a file picker (the portals do copy files around transparently into a place where the snapped app can accesss them while the UI shows you the actual path) …

as ken said above already, it looks like firefox used the portal when it worked, there are no security issues here, rather bugs with the xdg-desktop-portal installation on your system or with the way firefox uses them.

Ok, I just have found why FF 87 snap has issues and not FF 86…

I know that some of you already know this BR but, for the sake of Firefox, it allows to simply enter:
DISABLE_WAYLAND=1 firefox
in a terminal while waiting for a proper fix.

Thanks @fthx
I can confirm that this resolves the issue of the bookmark menu not working. However, since I also have the firefox deb version installed, I found that I had to close out of the .deb version completely and enter the following into terminal:

DISABLE_WAYLAND=1 /snap/bin/firefox

this also leaves the terminal command open until you close firefox. Interesting that if the .deb version of firefox is open, the above command will open another .deb firefox.

… and my workaround does not solve the issue that avoids Thunderbird to open a tab when FF is already opened.

It’s quite annoying that this happens when Hirsute will default Wayland. I don’t know if this issue exists in Hirsute, though.

this has nothing to do with the packaging system, it is an internal “feature” of firefox since years … before this became a default you had to call “firefox --remote” to get this behaviour and a simple “firefox” always opened a new window.

1 Like

[Related to this thread]

I was reading this:

Does the Thnderbird 78.9 snap use Wayland too?

I can answer to myself: no. (I was testing some windows stuff for BaBar extension!)

I use this old thread, I think it could alert some useful people. I do use Focal, Wayland session, and the upcoming Firefox 89.

Here are the points that make FF snap quality still problematic, at the moment:

• cannot open /usr folder, e.g.
  • cannot move bookmarks (maybe caused by the new UI)
  • media window is not created with respect to previous settings (bottom right, size) and is not above all windows (have to set it manually)
  • cannot open links in FF from Thunderbird when FF is already open

Only point #2 is new. So, I understand every dev concerns but from an user POV, it’s quite annoying. So, I maintain, since FF is a main software for Ubuntu, that maybe Mozilla should revert to previous FF86’s X11 back end before some issues have been cleared.

Just my point of view. :slight_smile: