File associations, Ubuntu 20.04, and kdenlive snap

On my Ubuntu 20.04 machine, *.kdenlive files are not associated with the KDEnlive snap.

Now, these files do seem to be associated with Microsoft Edge, so it’s possible that Edge has (incorrectly) “taken over” all files that look like XML, which is not ideal. However, when I look to fix this, I am shown “recommended applications”, and KDEnlive isn’t in that list. If I then show all apps, I am shown “related applications” and KDEnlive isn’t in that list either. KDEnlive is in the list of all applications, so I’m able to fix this, but this is rather not ideal.

So, a few questions:

1. is kdenlive installed as a snap associated with *.kdenlive files for other people?
  2. if it isn’t, who needs to fix things so that it is? Is this a bug in kdenlive itself, in kdenlive’s snap packaging, or what?
  3. what needs to be changed so that kdenlive is a “recommended application” for its own save files out of the box without configuration?
  4. what needs to be changed so that kdenlive is a “related application” for its own save files out of the box without configuration?
  5. *.kdenlive files seem to be being seen as “XML application” files; why aren’t they seen as KDEnlive save files?

I don’t know whether these are issues with the app, with the app’s snap packaging, with the gnome desktop, with Ubuntu’s initial configuration, or all of the above, and so I don’t know where to file bugs.

This is probably related: Allow snaps to register new mime types?