Extremely slow snap downloads

I prepped screen shots but you dont allow new users to post them!! aye come on

Crazy slow snap origin servers
Please update your servers… this painful for mass machine deployments

Our ISP is not the issue

I’d show evidence, but you forum wont allow me

grrrr

It’s not really our servers - all snap downloads are served from a CDN (Fastly), so it’s not something we can just “upgrade”, but we can certainly collect data and see if there’s any other action we can take. As noted above, if you go to fastly-debug.com (must be on the same network as the affected systems) it will give you a report which can be downloaded in text form and pasted here.

• Daniel
1 Like

Not YOUR servers? Mate, I had to wait 45 minutes to get a confirmation email from Snapcraft.io to confirm my account so that I could write this message… 45 MINUTES to get an account confirmation email!!!

No matter what I install from snap, it doesn’t go beyond 140Kbps. I have a 80MBits/s optic fiber link and I can certainly tell you that something is wrong with this snap infrastructure. Horrible performance.

Is there any mirrors that can be used? Sorry if I sound pissed off, but I am pissed off! I was so happy that I found a potentially universal package manager for Linux, but first try was disappointing at best!

1 Like

I have a 30MBps cable link and snap downloads typically saturate my bandwidth and are very fast. There’s more to download performance than just advertised last-mile speed, and a number of factors between you and the server you’re trying to reach can affect this.

As stated in the previous message, you can go to fastly-debug.com and check what your performance is to the nearest Fastly mirror/POP server. If you then post that information here, it can help us see if there’s a pattern that we can report to the CDN provider. Even better, if you typically see that poor performance, and can get us several fastly-debug dumps at various times of the day, it would be better than just a point-in-time snapshot.

Cheers,

• Daniel

Client IP Info
IP 111.xx.xx.xx
AS Name SNAP-NZ-AS Snap Internet Limited, NZ
AS Number 23655
City mount victoria
Continent OC
Country new zealand
State WGN
Resolver IP Info
IP 111.xx.xx.xx
AS Name SNAP-NZ-AS Snap Internet Limited, NZ
AS Number 23655
Country Code NZ
Server Connection Info
IP 151.101.164.64
Datacenter AKL
BW to server 18.96mbps
Congestion Window 30
Next Hop 172.19.146.1
RTT 13.72ms
Delta Retransmits 0
Total Retransmits 10
POP Latency (ms)
SYD 36
PER 84
BNE 57
MEL 53
SIN 218
LAX 177
AKL 14
WLG 12
ANY 49
Request Info
Time Mon Aug 05 2019 15:37:12 GMT+1200 (New Zealand Standard Time)
Host www.fastly-debug.com
Accept text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,/;q=0.8
User-Agent Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0
Accept-Language en-US,en;q=0.5
Accept-Encoding gzip
X-Forwarded-For

This shows the data center used to serve content to you (it’s geographically close to you, I think) and the speed from you to the datacenter, at the moment this debug dump was produced.

Are you still seeing slow downloads? The BW measurement would indicate not, but I’d like to confirm either way.

if you’re ever seeing slow downloads, then at that moment you can go to fastly-debug.com and get a data dump such as this one; if the “BW to server” measurement is low, that would explain the slowness. If it’s not low, it might mean our transfer speed to the CDN datacenter is the problem; so having the information either way is quite useful to us.

• Daniel
1 Like

Seeing very slow speeds in Australia, around 50KB/s.

fastly-debug.com output:

Datacenter BNE
BW to server 26.94mbps
Congestion Window 5
Next Hop 172.17.210.1
RTT 2.423ms
Delta Retransmits 0
Total Retransmits 43

debug log:

For additional debugging, can you capture traceroutes to canonical-lcy01.cdn.snapcraftcontent.com and canonical-bos01.cdn.snapcraftcontent.com, and record the speed you get when downloading https://api.snapcraft.io/api/v1/snaps/download/99T7MUlRhtI3U0QFgl5mXXESAiSwt776_8268.snap?cdn=canonical-bos01 and https://api.snapcraft.io/api/v1/snaps/download/99T7MUlRhtI3U0QFgl5mXXESAiSwt776_8268.snap?cdn=canonical-lcy01?

traceroute:

With wget:
https://api.snapcraft.io/api/v1/snaps/download/99T7MUlRhtI3U0QFgl5mXXESAiSwt776_8268.snap?cdn=canonical-bos01
3.77MB/s

https://api.snapcraft.io/api/v1/snaps/download/99T7MUlRhtI3U0QFgl5mXXESAiSwt776_8268.snap?cdn=canonical-lcy01
3.08MB/s

Looks much better now.

On Ubuntu 20.04, I was having issues with this as well, both getting unexpected EOF and unexpected 503, when trying to install VS Code with

snap install --classic code

The download simply wouldn’t start.

Instead of using the GUI to authenticate, I tried to run

sudo snap install --classic code

And it worked perfectly.

Please tell me I am crazy, because I feel like this really should not affect anything related to the network speed. I tried both a couple of times to verify, but perhaps it is still some kind of heisenbug.

We’ve been experiencing some issues today due to a large surge in load with the 20.04 release and doing our best to keep things running smoothly. Latest status can be found at https://status.snapcraft.io/

1 Like

It appears that there are still issues. An hour ago average download of intellij-idea-community snap was 130kb/s, now it is ~690-700kb/s.

My download speed is 50mbit/s.

I’ve just updated to ubuntu 20.04 and while installing software snaps noticed how much slower it is than the old apt-get way.

Getting about 100Kb/s.

Downloading “Geany” text editor for example:
Using apt-get: 3 seconds.
Using snap: 20 Minutes.

What can I do about this?

Is there a way to point my computer to a more local snap CDN?

Any help appreciated.
J

I am here to confirm the same scenario. Pretty slow in 20.04 even Shows it will take 20mins download VLC :-1: and 165Kbps is the maximum it went regarding download speed :confused:

Screenshot%20from%202020-04-26%2002-45-17

Downloads have been slower than usual over the last couple of days due to additional load from the release of Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. We’ve made some tweaks this morning that should have sped things up.

Downloading is very slow and I keep getting Download snap "jenkins" (1058) from channel "stable" (unexpected EOF)

today the speed is back to normal, thank you

i was installing snapd and testing using hello-world,

Download snap “core” (10126) from channel “stable”

the download speed is 680B/s -_-
the ETA is 1 day and 19 hours -__-

and I got 0 answers for

dig fastly.cdn.snapcraft.io

I understand that these are not “your” servers but this problem exists in almost every region on the planet and exists only with downloading your packages. Which means that chance of a fault in servers is a billion times the chance of a problem in our connections. Pleas rectify the error.

• Linux Mint 19.3 From Srinagar, Kashmir.

Try switching the wifi powersave off.

Idk why it affected the wired speed too in my case but it did.

I edited /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/default-wifi-powersave-on.conf and changed the number from 3 to 2 to disable it.

That fixed the issue.

I’m having the same issue on 150 MB ethernet, Ubuntu 20.04.02.