External repositories

Yes there is a possible scenario in which revenue would increase, but it’s possible (and this is just speculation as we have little choice but to resort to speculation on my less charitable interpretation of why Canonical aren’t shifting on these issues) that they have concluded, for themselves, internally, that revenue would fall. We’d have to have some pretty good evidence to convince them otherwise. Maybe there’s a case of a program that originally took snappy’s current business model and then moved to the one that you’re describing, and their revenue increased (or fell)? Examples (case studies) like that would be handy for discussing this issue further. Ideally a systematic academic paper assessing the evidence, if one exists!

1 Like

From my humble and personal point of view, as a developer dabbling in some parts of the stack involved, getting the whole chain-of-trust assertions thing to be obviously correct when the graph isn’t a tree would be way beyond my abilities. So I’m glad we don’t have to do that.

2 Likes

Hi,

This thread discusses the possibility of using Branded Stores as alternatives to dedicated repositories to other Distros. However, and I don’t know the veracity of the post, it seems that Branded Stores carry significant monetary costs. This comment https://forum.snapcraft.io/t/disabling-automatic-refresh-for-snap-from-store/707/247 says 15k per year. Such cost might make this very difficult for some distros wishing to use snaps but curate the selection presented to their users.

Is there an option for distros that would like to offer a more curated snap experience?

thanks,

1 Like

i’m not someone who could make such a decision, but if a brand store would be considered a solution for a community project, i doubt canonical would write a bill for it :wink:

2 Likes

That’s very good to hear. I would suggest a more official announcement could make inroads into the goal of a universal Linux store. I won’t lie, is disheartening to learn of Ubuntu derivatives choosing flatpack over Snaps.

1 Like

I have edited my comment in the other thread to clarify that my conversation with canonical was all in a commercial context. things might be very different in non for profit projects