Error: snap "hello-world" not found (in LimeNET store)

Hello guys,

being a total linux noob, I’m not quite getting snapd to work. I’m on elementary OS Juno.

if i try to pull the “hello-world” I get:

cedrik@Juno:~$ sudo snap install hello-world
error: snap “hello-world” not found

it might be very obvious what I’m doing wrong for people who know linux, for me as I’m just started using it, I’m despairing.

You don’t seem to be doing anything wrong; that should work.
What’s the output of snap version? And snap debug check connectivity? (the second one might need sudo)

1 Like

Thanks for the fast answer!

cedrik@Juno:~$ snap version
snap        2.38+18.04
snapd       2.38+18.04
series      16
elementary  5.0
kernel      4.15.0-47-generic

And debug:

cedrik@Juno:~$ sudo snap debug check connectivity
error: unknown command "check", see 'snap help debug'.

So I did it without “check”:

cedrik@Juno:~$ sudo snap debug connectivity
Connectivity status:
 * PASS

Any idea?

yeah that was me being dumb

what does snap info hello-world output? Given snap install is saying there’s no such thing, I’d expect it to fail. If it does fail, can you do

SNAPD_DEBUG=1 SNAPD_DEBUG_HTTP=7 snap download hello-world 2>snap.log

and get me snap.log?

Thanks!

1 Like

Yeah, as you thought: “no snap found” .

snap.log gives me the following:

2019/04/24 11:16:44.400804 helpers.go:229: DEBUG: Going to download snap "hello-world" (unset) from channel "" to "".
2019/04/24 11:16:44.401201 retry.go:41: DEBUG: Retrying https://api.snapcraft.io/v2/snaps/refresh, attempt 1, elapsed time=21.075µs
2019/04/24 11:16:44.401604 logger.go:67: DEBUG: > "POST /v2/snaps/refresh HTTP/1.1\r\nHost: api.snapcraft.io\r\nUser-Agent: snapd/2.38+18.04 (series 16; classic) snap elementary/5.0 (amd64) linux/4.15.0-47-generic\r\nContent-Length: 351\r\nAccept: application/json\r\nContent-Type: application/json\r\nSnap-Classic: true\r\nSnap-Device-Architecture: amd64\r\nSnap-Device-Series: 16\r\nSnap-Device-Store: LimeNET\r\nAccept-Encoding: gzip\r\n\r\n{\"context\":[],\"actions\":[{\"action\":\"download\",\"instance-key\":\"download-1\",\"name\":\"hello-world\",\"epoch\":null}],\"fields\":[\"architectures\",\"base\",\"confinement\",\"contact\",\"created-at\",\"description\",\"download\",\"epoch\",\"license\",\"name\",\"prices\",\"private\",\"publisher\",\"revision\",\"snap-id\",\"snap-yaml\",\"summary\",\"title\",\"type\",\"version\",\"media\",\"common-ids\"]}"
2019/04/24 11:16:44.666685 logger.go:74: DEBUG: < "HTTP/1.1 200 OK\r\nContent-Length: 247\r\nContent-Type: application/json\r\nDate: Wed, 24 Apr 2019 09:16:44 GMT\r\nServer: gunicorn/19.7.1\r\nSnap-Store-Version: 13\r\nX-Request-Id: 5D8590BD9CEA0A325C9601BB5CC0297C418E7110\r\nX-Vcs-Revision: fe3891e\r\nX-View-Name: snapdevicegw.webapi_refresh.snap_refresh\r\n\r\n{\"error-list\":[],\"results\":[{\"error\":{\"code\":\"name-not-found\",\"message\":\"The Snap with the given name was not found in the Store.\"},\"instance-key\":\"download-1\",\"name\":\"hello-world\",\"released-at\":null,\"result\":\"error\",\"snap\":null,\"snap-id\":null}]}\n"
2019/04/24 11:16:44.667266 retry.go:53: DEBUG: The retry loop for https://api.snapcraft.io/v2/snaps/refresh finished after 1 retries, elapsed time=266.065884ms, status: 200
error: cannot download snap "hello-world": snap not found

Ah! For some reason, your snapd is configured to use the LimeNET store. I guess they don’t have a “hello-world” snap in that.
Maybe there’s interesting things for you to look at in the output of snap find?

I wonder why you’re configured to use that store though. Is this the default for Elementary?
I’ll ask around just in case.

1 Like

snap find just gives me

No matching snaps for "" in section "featured"

How do I reconfigure it not to use the LimeNET store? It’s totally possible I messed this up, is there a way of resetting it?

I initally wanted to install moonlight from https://snapcraft.io/moonlight

If this is a LimeNET device, I don’t think you should change it from that store as that’s where they’ll have kernel / gadget / special snaps your device needs. You can go to https://limenet.snapcraft.io/ to see what snaps are available.

If this is a regular desktop and you for some reason wrote UBUNTU_STORE_ID=LimeNET in /etc/environment, unding that edit and restarting snapd should fix things.

1 Like

I’m a 100% sure I didn’t write it in there, but it was, as you said.

Thanks a lot, your solution worked!

where did you download elementary from?

from its original website. I guess I somehow added it via terminal with one of my desperate copy paste tries.

no worries. My only concern was that it was somehow the default :slight_smile:

1 Like