Does networkmanager support vpn

In https://docs.ubuntu.com/core/en/stacks/network/network-manager/docs/, it said Currently we do not support the following features:
VPN

But I found there is an easy-openvpn snap, and ncmli command has vpn connection option. So which is right?
Can I control l2tp pptp openvpn ipsec and GRE tunnel with networkmanager?

Thank you.

regarding the easy-openvpn snap see:

Thank you ogra. So if I want to use openvpn, I need to maintain a openvpn snap myself. How about other vpn, such l2tp pptp ipsec and GRE tunnel? Can I control them via networkmanager?

So if I want to use openvpn, I need to maintain a openvpn snap myself. How about other vpn, such l2tp pptp ipsec and GRE tunnel? Can I control them via networkmanager?

The network-manager snap does not currently allow this. Note that what NM has is plugins for some VPN types that help you control the VPN connections from nmcli/GUI, but you still need the VPN service client, like ipsec or pptp.

Adding support for this in the snap would require:

1. Creating a new snap for the VPN client of interest
  2. Adding the respective plugin to the NM snap
  3. Add permissions to current interfaces or maybe a new interface that allows interoperation between the NM and the VPN client snaps

So it is possible, but requires some work. Another option would be to create a new snap using the current NM snap as base that includes the VPN client - you might still need to propose changes in interface permissions. Either case, you can start from the NM snap sources in case you want to give it a go.

So, as you see, you would still have to maintain a new snap in any case.

Thank you abeato. I will try it.

Sorry that I revived this thread but I had some problems with my VPN and after I made all that you said it began working again. I don’t know how others but I use ExpressVPn. Do you like it? It was good to note that ExpressVPN uses one of the favorite encryption protocols for confidential information and used by government agencies to encrypt data. Moreover, the information you can find on https://www.vpntesting.com/reviews/expressvpn/ here is a good review of this VPN.