Do snaps apps support Vulkan?

Out of curiosity, I am trying the vkQuake snap.

I cannot make it work, it complains with: QUAKE ERROR: Couldn't create window: Installed Vulkan doesn't implement the VK_KHR_surface extension.

I have an Intel HD620 laptop, I have I know vulkan is working fine, this is the only app having problems.

Does snaps support Vulkan out of the box? Should some interface be connected?

2 Likes

Bump?

vkquake still doesn’t work on Ubuntu 19.04.

As far as I can tell as long as the opengl interface is connected it should be fine. Also the userspace libraries must be staged in snap.

You can refer the following snap packaging for an implementation of snapping Vulcan applications:

Another snap the seems to fail when using Vulkan: retroarch. It just segfault if I select the vulkan GPU driver.

I have this issue as well with vkQuake. Using a GeForce GTX 760 with nvidia-driver-430-430.14

NVIDIA is a problem as the userspace vulkan library isn’t available in snaps and needs to somehow expose it.

I’ve been trying off and on for the past 6 months or so to get Vulkan working in my snap (RetroArch) but I haven’t had much luck.

I’ve been using vkQuake and @Lin-Buo-Ren’s excellently annotated waifu2x package as a guide, but I’m not clear on which parts are actually vulkan-related. I’ve been trying to get the “layout” part from waifu2x working, but snapcraft gave me the “Additional properties are not allowed (‘layout’ was unexpected)” error no matter where I put it, so I tried using passthrough, assuming snapcraft still just doesn’t support it yet.

Now, though, I’m getting a weird log without any specific error, AFAICT, so I’m kinda stuck:

Does anyone have any advice? Am I barking up the wrong tree with the layout? Am I messing something up syntactically?

I created a PR that gets your build working again.

Retroarch starts correctly if I enable the vulkan driver and I can run super mario 64 on paraLLel so I’m guessing Vulkan works correctly?

1 Like