Dbus access problem

Dear All,

I am having a hard time understanding how to correctly give permissions to a snap application to inter-operate over dbus.

Considering a simple example, that I want to query current brightness settings in a system with gnome desktop environment. To do that, I need to query the property “Brightness” from an “org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Power” object that has “org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Power.Screen” interface with that property.

To do that, I use Qt DBus module, and for the sake of completeness here is how I call methods over dbus with it:

QDBusInterface screen{"org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Power", "/org/gnome/SettingsDaemon/Power", "org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties", QDBusConnection::sessionBus()};

const auto message = screen.callWithArgumentList(QDBus::Block, "Get", {"org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Power.Screen", "Brightness"});
QDBusPendingReply<QVariant> reply = message;
// Check for errors and process the result  ...

Nevertheless, I can’t figure right setup for the slots & plugs in snapcraft.yaml, and I constantly get the following error:

Get asynchronous call finished with error: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied (An AppArmor policy prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient; type=\"method_call\", sender=\":1.2264\" (uid=1000 pid=484631 comm=\"/snap/snap-name/x2/usr/local/exe-name/exe-name --log_path\" label=\"snap.snap-name.snap-name (enforce)\") interface=\"org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties\" member=\"Get\" error name=\"(unset)\" requested_reply=\"0\" destination=\"org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Power\" (uid=1000 pid=74054 comm=\"/usr/libexec/gsd-power \" label=\"unconfined\"))"

Relevant parts of my current snapcraft.yaml look something like this:

---
base: core20
confinement: strict
grade: devel

environment:
  LD_LIBRARY_PATH: $SNAP/usr/lib/:$SNAP/usr/lib/$SNAPCRAFT_ARCH_TRIPLET/:$SNAP/usr/lib/$SNAPCRAFT_ARCH_TRIPLET/pulseaudio
  PATH: $SNAP/bin/:$SNAP/usr/bin/:$PATH
  # Prep EGL
  __EGL_VENDOR_LIBRARY_DIRS: $SNAP/etc/glvnd/egl_vendor.d:$SNAP/usr/share/glvnd/egl_vendor.d
  LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH: $SNAP/usr/lib/$SNAPCRAFT_ARCH_TRIPLET/dri
  LIBVA_DRIVERS_PATH: $SNAP/usr/lib/$SNAPCRAFT_ARCH_TRIPLET/dri
  # QT
  QT_QPA_PLATFORM_PLUGIN_PATH: $SNAP/usr/lib/$SNAPCRAFT_ARCH_TRIPLET/qt5/plugins
  QML_IMPORT_PATH: $SNAP/usr/lib/$SNAPCRAFT_ARCH_TRIPLET/qt5/qml
  QML2_IMPORT_PATH: $SNAP/usr/lib/$SNAPCRAFT_ARCH_TRIPLET/qt5/qml

plugs:
  dbus-d:
    interface: dbus
    bus: system
    name: org.freedesktop.DBus
  dbus-network-manager:
    bus: system
    name: org.freedesktop.NetworkManager
  dbus-gnome:
    bus: session
    name: org.gnome
  dbus-gnome-settingsdaemon-power:
    name: org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Power

slots:
  s-dbus-1:
    name: ru.orgname.appname

apps:
  exe-name:
    command: usr/local/exe-name/exe-name ...
    plugs:
      - opengl
      - x11
      - audio-playback
      - network
      - network-bind
      - camera
      - display-control
      - dbus-d
      - dbus-network-manager
      - dbus-gnome
      - dbus-gnome-settingsdaemon-power
      - desktop
    slots:
      - s-dbus-1
    environment:
      # PulseAudio
      PULSE_SERVER: "unix:$XDG_RUNTIME_DIR/../pulse/native"

Note that without “s-dbus-1” slot from above I couldn’t even connect to the bus, the error from the above code was

org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Disconnected (Not connected to D-Bus server)

Moreover, everything works fine if I install the app with --devmode option.
It looks like I am doing something wrong, but I can’t grasp what so far. So the question is, what slots & plugs specifically I need to be able to call some methods on a remote object with name “org.foo.bar”?

So, it currently appears to me that access to dbus services provided not by a snap packages should not be granted through dbus interface slots & plugs. The latter are meant to establish snap-to-snap dbus communications.

To confirm if I am right I also asked it in dbus-interface topic.

Adding “gsettings” interface as suggested here didn’t help - no new permissions are granted in the apparmor profile in “/var/lib/snapd/apparmor/profiles/snap..*”, and snappy-debug still shows access errors:

= AppArmor =
Time: Sep  6 15:39:38
Log: apparmor="DENIED" operation="dbus_method_call"  bus="session" path="/org/gnome/SettingsDaemon/Power" interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.Introspectable" member="Introspect" mask="send" name="org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Power" pid=30209 label="snap.<snap-name>.<snap-name>" peer_pid=3554 peer_label="unconfined"
DBus access

= AppArmor =
Time: Sep  6 15:39:39
Log: apparmor="DENIED" operation="dbus_method_call"  bus="session" path="/org/gnome/SettingsDaemon/Power" interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" member="Get" mask="send" name="org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Power" pid=30209 label="snap.<snap-name>.<snap-name>" peer_pid=3554 peer_label="unconfined"
DBus access

= AppArmor =
Log: apparmor="DENIED" operation="dbus_method_call"  bus="session" path="/org/gnome/SettingsDaemon/Power" interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.Introspectable" member="Introspect" mask="send" name="org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Power" pid=30209 label="snap.<snap-name>.<snap-name>" peer_pid=3554 peer_label="unconfined"
DBus access

= AppArmor =
Log: apparmor="DENIED" operation="dbus_method_call"  bus="session" path="/org/gnome/SettingsDaemon/Power" interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" member="Get" mask="send" name="org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Power" pid=30209 label="snap.<snap-name>.<snap-name>" peer_pid=3554 peer_label="unconfined"
DBus access