Core22 not usable with multipass?

Hi there,

I’m trying to use core22 as snapcraft base:

name: gnome-commander
version: 1.13.1
summary: Testversion of SNAP for GNOME Commander
description: |
  GNOME Commander is a fast, flexible and well known file manager.

grade: devel # must be 'stable' to release into candidate/stable channels
confinement: devmode
#base: daily:22.04
base: core22

Running snapcraft this leads to an error with multipass:

Launching a VM.
Build environment is in unknown state, cleaning first.
info failed: The following errors occurred:
instance "snapcraft-gnome-commander" does not exist
launch failed: Unable to find an image matching "core22". Please use `multipass find` for supported remotes and images.
An error occurred with the instance when trying to launch with 'multipass': returned exit code 2.
Ensure that 'multipass' is setup correctly and try again. 

Is it yet possible to use core22?

Kind regards

Stefan

core22 is not released, so it would not be available as a build-base yet, what will be available around January is to set the base to core22 and the build-base to devel. This would lead to a snap that has a grade of devel which means it won’t be able to be released to stable or candidate (as the base would not yet be ABI/API stable until 22.04 is actually released)

OK, but what’s the point of releasing core22 in the edge channel? It is yet available there and for testing usage I’d like to use the latest version. Or is it somehow possible to build my own core?

Kind regards

Stefan

To develop features and fixes on the way to UbuntuCore 22 images you need to have a rootfs (which the core22 snap is) … this is essential for releasing UC22 in time with 22.04 …

the content of the core22 snap will be constantly changing along the way to 22.04 and only stabilize with the actual LTS release … you really do not want to base any application snaps on such a moving target :wink:

Aside from what @ogra mentioned, we need it there to develop Snapcraft itself, as it is on edge, it implies it is a moving target and might have changes to satisfy the inter-dependencies between all components so not ready for production in any way.

Sorry to revive this old thread, but still facing this issue as of today:

$ snapcraft build
launch failed: Unable to find an image matching "core22". Please use `multipass find` for supported remotes and images.

Running with

$ snapcraft version
snapcraft 7.0.11    
$ multipass version
multipass   1.10.1
multipassd  1.10.1

Even though core22 has been out for a while, maybe it’s not available on multipass?

Can you share the output of the following command?

multipass find

It will list the available images that multipass can download/see. You should hopefully see snapcraft:core22 as an available image.

Thanks! It is indeed not listed there:

$ multipass find
Image                       Aliases           Version          Description
18.04                       bionic            20220712         Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
20.04                       focal,lts         20220711         Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
22.04                       jammy             20220712         Ubuntu 22.04 LTS
daily:22.10                 devel,kinetic     20220717         Ubuntu 22.10
anbox-cloud-appliance                         latest           Anbox Cloud Appliance
charm-dev                                     latest           A development and testing environment for charmers
docker                                        latest           A Docker environment with Portainer and related tools
minikube                                      latest           minikube is local Kubernetes

Is there anything I need to do in order to make the snapcraft images “visible” for multipass?

By the way this is on an Ubuntu 22.04 system, with both snapcraft and multipass installed as snaps. It’s an aarch64 system - could that be the snag?

Indicated by the thread here, it looks like snapcraft:core* images currently only support amd64 architecture. This thread is over a year old, so someone more familiar with the architecture issue could probably give you more information.

That being said, if you a running Ubuntu or derivative, you should be able to use the snapcraft --use-lxd command as a workaround. See if this works.

1 Like

Ah got it, thanks for that @nuccitheboss! Hadn’t seen the other thread (or forum, for that matter).

And yeah, I can indeed build successfully with LXD. As it happens, the issue I’m actually trying to solve is that my build works great locally (with LXD, or on the host directly), but fails on the CI/Launchpad builder. And I’m unfortunately not able to see the actual error logs there (thread: Any way to see "full execution log" on Launchpad builder?) - so I went on a mission to try to reproduce the error locally. And trying to build using multipass was an idea along that journey…

Sounds good. Let’s pop over to that thread then to figure out the issue with the build logs

1 Like