Command line utility needs read access to file in current dir

I have a command line utility that I wrote which reads in a markdown file, converts it to an HTML file and then launches it in the user’s default web browser. I’d like to create a snap for it.

It needs to be able to do the following things:

1. Read a file in the current directory, like README.md
  2. Write a file to the default temp directory
  3. Launch a web browser via xdg-open, which will load and display the temp file

In order to do all of this, do I need to set confinement to classic? This is my first time attempting to build a snap package, so I’m not super familiar with all the terminology and how it all works.

1 Like

The home interface might be enough, especially if the tool can read from stdin to work around situations where home isn’t enough.

1 Like

That’s a good point. So far I use it to view markdown files in source repositories that are in a path under my home directory.

1 Like

home and removable-media plugs interfaces are essential to snaps that require regular access to regular files in regular locations.

Thanks for that info. Like I said, I’m new to snaps so I appreciate the pointers. I didn’t realize that plugs was what I was looking for. I think i can do what i need with plugs.

1 Like

Here’s your pointer: Interfaces - doc - snapcraft.io, just in case you haven’t found it.

1 Like