Classic confinement request for mackup

mackup is some sort of backup application.
It creates symlinks for every application supported (mainly with dotfiles) to a single directory.
This directory can be a dropbox, git, etc.

mackup need classic confinement because mackup need to access its own .mackup.cfg file but also any other dotfile in home user dir.

The snap has already been pushed to snapcraft and is under manual review pending status

snap repository: https://github.com/guilhem/mackup-snap

Thank you in advance for your time.

cc @evan, @popey, @Wimpress

1 Like

@kyrofa gentle ping

(more just to remove this ** character limitation)

I’m going to +1 this request as it needs access beyond any of our interfaces will allow. Specifically access to numerous dotfiles in the home directory, and other arbitrary locations for backing up those dotfiles. Without classic, this snap effectively won’t work.

Ideally though, this would be better pushed upstream. Have you spoken to the upstream developers about landing the yaml there, and having them push to the store?

@popey I totally agree with you about adding it to the upstream project.

I was looking to upstream it after having a shareable working version. But we need classic confinement to have something working.

Do you think I need to do the opposite (and sadly postpone this current request).

1 Like

No, I don’t think we need to postpone, if there’s clear intent to push upstream. Thanks for taking the time to get involved and snap this project!

1 Like

This gets a +1 from me.

I’m familiar with the Mackup and used it for years so understand the request for classic. Upstream have been receptive to Linux related pull requests I’ve filed in the past so I’m sure @guilhem will have good success landing this :slight_smile:

Good to know, I also have a patch to submit to improve bootstrapping. git clone http://... dir snap install mackup --classic mackup restore -f for/mackup.cfg

And that’s all :slight_smile:

Granting use of classic. This is now live.

1 Like

Hi,

It seems like classic granting has been lost for Mackup, I can’t publish a new version of it:

(NEEDS REVIEW) confinement ‘classic’ not allowed. If your snap needs classic confinement to function, please make a request for this snap to use classic by creating a new topic in the forum using the ‘store-requests’ category and detail the technical reasons why classic is required. lint-snap-v2_confinement_classic What does this mean?

Does it need to get reviewed again?

Thanks

Hello!

Sorry :frowning: apparently this fell through the cracks - this is after the snap was transferred, and the thinking at the time was that the use of classic would need re-vetting under the new publisher - vetting that was apparently never done.

@Wimpress @Popey @Igor or anyone from @advocacy, could you please perhaps check that thread I linked to, and see if it’s reasonable to reinstate use of classic for mackup? either myself or @jdstrand can then action this.

• Daniel

@advocacy - can one of you take a look at this?

@advocacy - ping, can one of you take a look at this?

@advocacy - can you please follow up on this?

@advocacy - could you please look into @roadmr’s request above?

@advocacy - can someone please perform the vetting?

Apologies for missing this, vetting done, +1 for the snap to be classic.

Granted, this is now live.