Classic confinement for network-sports-icarus

We need classic confinement to access the serial port connected to a proprietary i/o board to operate a soft tip dart cabinet. This snap will not be public. Happy to fill in more detail if necessary.

there are two interfaces providing access to serial ports (the serial-port interface as well as the builtin hotplug mechanism of snapd) what is the reason that you can not use either of them for your app ?

there should be plenty of example apps using them in the store to look at their snapcraft.yaml, i.e. the arduino snap comes to mind …

we are using the serial-port interface. It currently only works in devmode. We see no path/slots when in strict mode.

@TeamRBDG I noticed the syntax for serial-port on the latest uploaded revision is incorrect. Please refer to the documentation for further details.

Feel free to ask here any question you might have. I also suggest using snappy-debug for troubleshooting since it will suggest interfaces needed based on your snap behavior.

@TeamRBDG ping, I see your latest revision is successfully published. Could you make the snap work under strict confinement?

@TeamRBDG ping, can you please provide the requested information?

@TeamRBDG since we’ve not heard back from you, we are removing this request from our review queue. When you have more time to respond, simply do so here and we can add the request back to the queue. Thanks!

Hi @emitorino @pfsmorigo @ogra,

As you can see from the below thread, the suggestions made above do not work for us. So again we are requesting classic confinement. The serial port we are using is not USB based. Core isn’t an option for us because we don’t control the hardware that will be used within cabinets. They typically run with older, off the shelf crt/lcd monitors. Happy to hop on a zoom to show you visually/physically whats going on. It may add greater clarity.

thank you.

cc: @dguerrero5

Bumping to get us back in the queue as per @pfsmorigo.

Unfortunately as per the Process for reviewing classic confinement snaps, the is no existing category for classic confinement that I can see which would fit this situation.

Would it be possible to just use a USB-serial converter with your devices? Then you can use hotplug and it should just work :crossed_fingers:

@alexmurray that’s definitely not possible and the fact you end with “fingers crossed” frightens me, lol. We just don’t have the ability to install those in existing cabinets.

Who can we escalate this to? Process states:

If something falls outside of these lists, then the requirements must be gathered by a senior reviewer and discussed with an architect (after which, it can be added to the lists).

I really appreciate all the suggestions from folks, but we need definitive answers.

@TeamRBDG apologies for frightening you - I only added the fingers-crossed since hotplug is still marked as experimental (however it has been successfully used by many snaps in the past and so I suspect should likely be moved out of experimental and be a core feature - @pedronis @mvo thoughts?).

As a snap architect @pedronis is the one to escalate to, however I do wonder if it would be possible to add hotplug support for traditional serial ports or instead to provide access to them somehow on classic systems whilst under strict confinement.