Chromium browser issues in Ubuntu 19.10

When I use apt to install chromium-browser in Ubuntu 19.10, the actual package is actually from snap, chromium Version 79.0.3945.79 (Official Build) snap (64-bit). However this brings me two issues

• chromium now has no sound when playing videos on YouTube, Vimeo, etc (pulseaudio/alsa both tried; local applications can play video perfectly fine).
  • Whenever I need to open a downloaded file, it always pops up a window to ask Allow snap "chromium" to open file "$HOME/Downloads"?, which is quite annoying.

Is there any workaround for this?

Yep this is an issue. With neither the snap or deb installed, both are installed with sudo apt install chromium-browser. See full stdout.

I duplicated the double install part on a fresh, updated ubuntu 19.10 vm, however the sounds in youtube works just fine for me.

I just learned that the chromium-browser deb is not being maintained by either Canonical or Debian any longer. So the redirecting you to install the snap is intentional.

The transition from deb to snap is intentional, starting with 19.10. Details: Call for testing: chromium-browser deb to snap transition

I can’t reproduce the audio issue here, please file a bug at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/chromium-browser

That’s the intended behaviour. Not perfect from a UX perspective, but this is a security requirement.

As suggested by Ken, please file a bug by running this command in a terminal:

ubuntu-bug chromium-browser

Thanks!

Note this will be better handled when https://bugs.launchpad.net/snappy/+bug/1857128 is resolved.

1 Like

It seems an audio issue relevant with snap user/group privileges.
I’m actually using Xubuntu 19.10.

• When I login I saw xfce pulseaudio plugin shows an x. The ps shows me that pulseaudio is running and indeeded owned by me. However pulseaudio -k keeps telling me that Failed to kill daemon: No such process and there should not be any issues about my local settings since ~/.config/pulse is freshly generated. At this time, I can use chromium-browser to play YouTube videos with sound, however it will affect/be affected by other audio software such as cmus – when I pause cmus, I cannot play YouTube videos in chromium-browser since the progress bar does not advance.
  • So I kill -9 $(pidof pulseaudio) (may need multiple times since pulseaudio keeps restarting) and then pulseaudio -D. This time xfce pulseaudio plugin shows correctly. But there is no sound in chromium-browser. When I install firefox from apt or google-chrome (downloaded deb package), they both have sound.

I hear that snap packages have specific security mechanisms compared to natively installed ones. So what do you propose that I can report to launchpad?

Please file a bug with all the above information, that will be a good starting point, and we can take it from there. Thanks!