Can't use input method in snap apps

I would like to ask if the ibus support still requires desktop-legacy interface? snapcraft define destkop-gtk3 doesn’t mention it.

Yes, it still requires desktop-legacy. Note that we aren’t saying that the concept of input methods are “legacy”: rather that the D-Bus services implementing these input methods are not designed with confinement in mind.

They aren’t designed to treat the application as hostile, so in some cases it is possible for one app to snoop on the input of a second app.

1 Like

Yes please, for some reason I can’t type using fcitx on my snap chromium

@oSoMoN - perhaps you need to do something similar for fcitx as you did for ibus?

Yes, and this is on my to-do list.

3 Likes
snap      2.32.5-1.1
snapd     2.32.5-1.1
series    16
opensuse  42.3
kernel    4.4.126-48-default

I’m on openSUSE, all apps installed via snap can not active fcitx chinese method, hope can solve the problem in the coming version.

Thanks!

I’m on OpenSuse & experiencing the FCITX problem too.

I’m on Debian 9 Stretch, experiencing the same when using Google fcitx input in Firefox snap.

According to my experience currently on iBus is able to function in snap apps. There’s code in supporting Fcitx but it doesn’t seem to work.

Please add support fcitx +1

I’m using vscode with snap under Ubuntu 18.04 and the input method does not work.

1 Like

FYI, I’m sure the desktop team will comment (@kenvandine) on the specifics, but AIUI fcitx is planned for the next cycle.

Fcitx should be already working: Compatibility with CJKV input method frameworks

It should be already working, please contact the maintainer with the following information to do a re-build:

1 Like

Awesome, thank you very much!

It seems that the snaps that uses the gnome-platform content snap cannot load the IM module:

Cannot load module /snap/gtk3-demo/x1/gnome-platform/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gtk-3.0/3.0.0/immodules/im-fcitx.so: GModule (/snap/gtk3-demo/x1/gnome-platform/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gtk-3.0/3.0.0/immodules/im-fcitx.so) initialization check failed: GLib version too old (micro mismatch)
/snap/gtk3-demo/x1/gnome-platform/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gtk-3.0/3.0.0/immodules/im-fcitx.so does not export GTK+ IM module API: GModule (/snap/gtk3-demo/x1/gnome-platform/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gtk-3.0/3.0.0/immodules/im-fcitx.so) initialization check failed: GLib version too old (micro mismatch)
Cannot load module /snap/gtk3-demo/x1/gnome-platform/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gtk-3.0/3.0.0/immodules/im-ibus.so: /snap/gtk3-demo/x1/gnome-platform/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gtk-3.0/3.0.0/immodules/im-ibus.so: undefined symbol: ibus_input_context_set_cursor_location_relative
/snap/gtk3-demo/x1/gnome-platform/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gtk-3.0/3.0.0/immodules/im-ibus.so does not export GTK+ IM module API: /snap/gtk3-demo/x1/gnome-platform/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gtk-3.0/3.0.0/immodules/im-ibus.so: undefined symbol: ibus_input_context_set_cursor_location_relative

fcitx+snap still not working on mine.

snap 2.36.3
snapd 2.36.3
series 16
ubuntu 18.10
kernel 4.18.0-13-generic

Has this issue been fixed yet?

1 Like

It really depends on the snap you’re using, currently the supporting code is available, but (a) the snap you’re using hasn’t included it yet (b) the technology your snap is using isn’t compatible with the supporting code.

LIbreoffice cannot handle CJK input unfortunately.

snap    2.37.1.1+18.04
snapd   2.37.1.1+18.04
series  16
ubuntu  18.04
kernel  4.18.0-13-generic

@oSoMoN, any chance LIbreoffice will be able to handle CJK through fcitx soon?

1 Like

I unable to reproduce this problem

$ snap version
snap    2.37.1.1+18.04
snapd   2.37.1.1+18.04
series  16
ubuntu  18.04
kernel  4.15.0-44-generic

Have you installed the Gtk3 frontend of Fcitx?

$ LANG=C apt search fcitx-frontend-gtk3
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
fcitx-frontend-gtk3/bionic,now 1:4.2.9.6-1 amd64 [installed]
  Flexible Input Method Framework - GTK+ 3 IM Module frontend

yes.
to be specific I’m using fcitx + mozc.
Still, cannot type in Japanese in LO writer

$ dpkg --get-selections |grep ^fcitx
fcitx                                           install
fcitx-bin                                       install
fcitx-config-common                             install