Help building Waterfox from source

My Waterfox snap won’t launch anymore because of GLIBC_2.30 doesn’t seem to exist. Any idea how I can fix it?

XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /snap/waterfox-snap/32/libnspr4.so:
/snap/waterfox-snap/32/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.30' not found (required by /snap/waterfox-snap/32/libnspr4.so)
Couldn't load XPCOM.

this seems to be a binary built against glib 2.28, try using base: core in your snapcrft.yaml which gives you a 16.04 execution environment.

Didn’t work. same error

You’re including in your snap a libc from 2016 (2.23), are you building on Xenial? Despite this, your binary for waterfox is linked against libc 2.30. You may need to build with core18, not core as was suggested by @ogra. However, core18 does not include libc 2.30, either, which was released in 2019. It only includes 2.27, so you may need to recompile waterfox to link correctly to a less-recent libc or wait for core20 to land.

I think I figured out how to compile directly from source with snaps, and now I’m getting this error:

Failed to generate snap metadata: The specified command '/usr/local/bin/waterfox' defined in the app 'waterfox' does not match the pattern expected by snapd.
The command must consist only of alphanumeric characters, spaces, and the following special characters: / . _ # : $ -

I don’t see what I did wrong.

You’re anchoring your executable command path with a leading / character. This is incorrect, because paths should be relative to $SNAP. So if your executable will live at $SNAP/usr/local/bin/waterfox then you want the command to be usr/local/bin/waterfox.

1 Like

That worked, now I’m facing this problem: I can’t get the files to open up external applications. Thought the desktop helpers would solve that, but either I’m doing something wrong, or totally missing something.

Now, when I try to use the build server, it fails because the tool called mach, which came with the source files, couldn’t be found.

Building it locally worked. Anything I should do differently?

Staging waterfox 
/bin/sh: 39: /root/parts/waterfox/build/mach: not found
Failed to run 'override-stage': Exit code was 127.

I finally managed to get it to build using the Snapcraft build server, but it’s not showing up at the store.

The server says it’s built and released 13 hours ago.

It failed review since it was using the dbus interface. A little while ago I issued a snap declaration allowing use of the name and it now passes automated review.

How can I open up the file manager when I click “open containing folder” or an external application?

On KDE Neon, it doesn’t detect dolphin, but it opened up just fine when I was on Kubuntu 20.04

Slightly off-topic, should I open up a “call for testing”?

Question: how do I get this to show up when I try to open a file or the directory?

With the next version of snapd, that dialog should be replaced with a prettier one from xdg-desktop-portal (assuming you have that service installed). It will also let the user confirm that they are fine for the snap to continue opening files of that type without being prompted in future.

I have it installed. Is there some other configuration I needed to setup?

The fix didn’t make it into the current version of snapd (2.44), but has been merged for the next (2.45).

Sorry. I just meant having that pop up show up, like in Firefox and Brave snaps.

You can see the details of how the Firefox snap is built here:

https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/file/tip/taskcluster/docker/firefox-snap

It’s using a bit of an ugly hack by including a mimeapps.list file that maps a large number of mime types to xdg-open.desktop, which in turn tells it to execute snapd’s /usr/bin/xdg-open proxy.

Note that we want to get rid of this hack, and instead have Firefox talk directly to xdg-desktop-portal:

I’ve got no idea how much of the portal support code has made it’s way to Waterfox, but you could try running your snap with GTK_USE_PORTAL=1 set in the environment and see what happens.