Cant package Thonny Snap

you registered thonny-ide, but the package is now called thonny … fix the name …

Should i change the adopt info name too ?

only the first line of the snapcraft.yaml should be enough

Ok, rebuilding again

In future how do i make this core22 compatible, i mean builds with core22 fails even the ones that can be successfully built with core20

you will likely also need to fix/re-create the patch that you turned off to make it build in the beginning, else it will likely not find the devices …

1 Like

Zillion Thanks to taking out the time for me, the snap has been successfully released :partying_face:

well, i suspect it will only work half way … given the patch is missing, see my commant above, you will likely have to fix it to apply properly again …

The Snap Wont run at all… I think executables are missing also it is not embedded to its path i mean typing thonny-ide doesnt give desired results, I will have to rework it.

Hey there i have successfully ported to core22 but i think the code is not correct since it lacks executables, i mean it doesnt run, how can i ask snapcraft to deal with package in following ways - do a ./install to /snap/bin/thonny-ide/(revision)/thonny, and ask snap to launch the executable from there

the binary you will see in /snap/bin is actually generated by snapd at install time from the info in your apps: section …

if your app entry does not match the package name, your binary becomes <packagename>.<app> if your apps: entry matches the name of the package it only becomes /snap/bin/<packagename>

make sure to have your apps: entry be thonny-ide else you will need to start it as thonny-ide.thonny

Hey there i applied all the tweaks now with thonny-ide, it gives back error saying 'PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: ‘/home/sam/.config/Thonny/frontend.log’

well, building your snap locally here it starts fine for me:

$ thonny-ide 
13:19:22.886 INFO    thonny: Thonny version: 4.0.2
13:19:22.886 INFO    thonny: cwd: /home/ogra
13:19:22.886 INFO    thonny: original argv: ['/snap/thonny-ide/x1/bin/python3.10', '-I', '-m', 'thonny']
13:19:22.886 INFO    thonny: sys.executable: /snap/thonny-ide/x1/bin/python3.10
13:19:22.886 INFO    thonny: sys.argv: ['/snap/thonny-ide/x1/lib/python3.10/site-packages/thonny/__main__.py']
13:19:22.886 INFO    thonny: sys.path: ['/snap/thonny-ide/x1/lib/python310.zip', '/snap/thonny-ide/x1/lib/python3.10', '/snap/thonny-ide/x1/lib/python3.10/lib-dynload', '/snap/thonny-ide/x1/lib/python3.10/site-packages']
13:19:22.886 INFO    thonny: sys.flags: sys.flags(debug=0, inspect=0, interactive=0, optimize=0, dont_write_bytecode=0, no_user_site=1, no_site=0, ignore_environment=1, verbose=0, bytes_warning=0, quiet=0, hash_randomization=1, isolated=1, dev_mode=False, utf8_mode=1, warn_default_encoding=0, int_max_str_digits=-1)
Deutsch
13:19:44.347 INFO    thonny.plugins.cpython_frontend.cp_front: Creating LocalCPythonProxy
13:19:44.348 INFO    thonny.running: Starting the backend: ['/snap/thonny-ide/x1/bin/python3.10', '-u', '-B', '-m', 'thonny.plugins.cpython_backend.cp_launcher', '/home/ogra/snap/thonny-ide/x1'] /home/ogra/snap/thonny-ide/x1

at that point i have the language selection popup on screen …

It says

Traceback (most recent call last): File “/snap/thonny-ide/7/lib/python3.10/site-packages/thonny/init.py”, line 106, in _read_configured_debug_mode with open(CONFIGURATION_FILE, encoding=“utf-8”) as fp: PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: ‘/home/sam/.config/Thonny/configuration.ini’

Can you please take some time to download my snap with snap install thonny-ide --edge, so that you better understand the error, i have added some extra plugs like desktop-legacy, wayland and unity7

well, i dont get why it would even try to access /home/sam/.config/Thonny while it should point to /home/sam/snap/thonny-ide/current …

what is your host system (what is the full output of `snap version) ?

screen-2023-02-28-17-58-47

Screenshot for output

using your snap from the store works equally fine here from a terminal

I am trying again with the hwe kernel ??

i run the same kernel (though at revision 60, not 58, you should update and reboot, but that should not have any impact on the ability to run your snap) …

are you sure you dont have accidentially installed another thonny version from source on your machine or some such ?