Can't launch Skype snap - relocation error

I’ve installed a fresh Ubuntu 17.10, installed the Skype snap, but it doesn’t start due to a glibc incompatibility:

/snap/skype/21/usr/share/skypeforlinux/skypeforlinux --executed-from=/snap --pid=4140: relocation error: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnss_dns.so.2: symbol __resolv_context_get, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

I’ve tried both stable and insider/stable, same error.

snap    2.31.2
snapd   2.31.2
series  16
ubuntu  17.10
kernel  4.13.0-37-generic

Any help?

I just started having the same problem.

Same problem here. Haven’t launched Skype in a week or so. Seems like a recent issue.

/snap/skype/22/usr/share/skypeforlinux$ ./skypeforlinux
/snap/skype/22/usr/share/skypeforlinux/skypeforlinux: relocation error: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnss_dns.so.2: symbol __resolv_context_get, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

snap 2.31.2
snapd 2.31.2
series 16
ubuntu 17.10
kernel 4.13.0-37-generic

Thanks

having the same issue. does anyone know a solution please ???

Same thing here. Any ideas how to troubleshoot? Doesn’t seem to be related to a libc6 upgrade.

Confirmed I’m unable to launch Skype on 18.04, but it works on 16.04.

Found this Launchpad bug which seems related: https://bugs.launchpad.net/snapd/+bug/1756670

The issue with Skype specifically not launching is currently being worked on. Our engineers are on it and we’re in touch with Skype upstream.

The same problem. I hope you’ll soon find a solution.

The Skype developers have uploaded a new release, revision 23. I’ve tested this and it works fine on 16.04, 17.10 and 18.04. Please update with snap refresh skype or just wait for snapd to do that automatically later.

Thanks for your patience everyone!

2 Likes