Cannot perform readlinkat() on 4.13.0-45

Well, that’s unclear. I wonder if this “comes back” after rebooting your machine.

Let me get my laptop which has the same error and run that command and reboot.

Note that this command only does something for a running system. Once you reboot the effects are reset. The odd this is why this was needed. On boot-up one part of the stack runs that exact command as well.

OK I have to apologise, I’ve just powered my laptop up and its working now. I was sure this wasn’t working last night. I wonder if it needed a reboot but that wouldn’t explain why a reboot didn’t fix my desktop…

I’ll check the other half’s laptop as soon as I get a chance.

Note if it comes back, that would indicate an issue with the cache file in /etc/apparmor.d/cache. You could workaround that by removing the cache file and rebooting (which would recreate the cache file with whatever is in /etc/apparmor.d).

If it happens again please let us know. There should be a trace in your system log about profile replacement (you can see this message when you run apparmor parser on the file and make some changes). Perhaps something was loading an older copy of the profile (for whatever reason)

OK I’ve checked and both the laptops are now fine, it looks like the issue was only with the desktop, I had a problem with all 3 and presumed it was the same apologies I will check closer next time.

The issue with the desktop came back after a reboot. I’ll try deleting the cache.

OK deleting the cache files and rebooting solved the problem permanently.

Does that mean the issue was because my cache didn’t get updated during an update and it wasn’t because I kept an old config file? I was looking to see if there was a dpkg-old or something but I didn’t see anything.

It looks to me like it is a cache issue.