Call for testing: xkcdpass, my first snap!

Thanks @roxd, nice work. I’ve tested the snap and have no complaints.

Now, @roxd is helping us here not just by making one more snap in the store, she also graciously accepted to do it all on her own by only looking at the getting started docs and tutorials. We have a brave soul here :slight_smile:, I’m very happy you joined our community.

So the fact that she could package and push the snap is a nice indication. But we also identified things to improve when somebody new to snaps wants to jump and package a project. I know you have been telling us about your journey in rocket chat, but would you mind making a summary for everybody else here at the forum? Like what went well, what went bad.

pura vida.

3 Likes

Yes Elopio, thank you! I will make another post. I have to go back and look at my bookmarks and walk through my issues again. For the most part - it was fairly easy. There was I believe one “bug report” that I made regarding documentation, and a workaround that was not documented. If I recall…bad memory…

I have enjoyed being a part of this community so far, and am clearing up more time for it after this wonderful experience.

2 Likes

@roxd The details above are definitely not specific to this one snap. The upstream integration is just a good way to get more collaboration and mindshare around the snap, so useful in general.

On a quick self-analysis, the reason I mentioned it here and not elsewhere is probably because this looked like a good candidate for integration for being so crisp and clean already.

1 Like

I understand, I was just confused as to why Ads20000 brought up contacting the developers as I am new to this and I thought that it wasn’t a big deal, that they can be contacted at any point.

1 Like

additionally I have not had coffee and i’m very confused in general, after reading a few other calls for testing I put together my post the best I could :slight_smile:

Ah sorry it’s my bad I guess please don’t worry about it! I didn’t realise that it will be fairly easy to transfer ownership of the Snappy Store app to the original developers later. You’re doing the right thing, try and get an initial snapcraft.yaml working and then hopefully they can integrate it into their build process later (thus making updates faster because we don’t need to do the updating ourselves).

:grin: please don’t use my calls for testing as a strong guideline of how to do them. I tend to talk a lot about a lot of random stuff, I’ve been told.

Only the steps for how to help are required. The rest is free form.

Short and to the point is a nice goal that I try to apply everyday, and fail.

Elopio, thank you for clarifying, I know as we go along it will become easier for me a bit more and I can make everything up as I go along :smiley: Ads20000 I’m sorry for being a bit “snappy” !!

So far I have had a few tests and all good feedback. I’m looking forward to making more snaps! Thank you to the community for helping me feel so welcome!

1 Like

What isn’t working with the snap atm? :slight_smile:

it’s so simple so not much can get wrong, eh? Also, I cheated and had elopio check it first :wink:

1 Like

8 downloads is close enough for testing :wink: moving it over to stable now. Thank you! Let me know if there are any errors though or any ideas.

I opened an issue here: https://github.com/redacted/XKCD-password-generator/issues/66 to see if the developer would like to maintain the snap on their own. Wasn’t sure what to say or how to go about asking. Posted the link to this posting just in case they couldn’t contact me if they decide to maintain it later on.

2 Likes

Oh cool, could you write a new snapcraft.yaml which uses a released version of xkcdpass (just needs to be the same as this one, but with a different source)? Does the Python plugin allow you to point to a release .tar.gz of the app (give it a go)? You could then push that to beta (and candidate and even stable if there’s no bugs!) and have your Git source one in edge.

Not sure… @elopio do you know?

Would this be a separate snap?

I think it would be a separate snapcraft.yaml but the same Snap. You would push the one pointing to the GitHub repository to the edge channel and the one pointing to a release to beta, candidate, and eventually stable.

Hello, I’m back!

snapcraft is flexible enough to let you do (almost) anything. So you could use a released tar.gz as the source without problems. However, that’s not the approach I would use.

Now that everybody seems to be happy with the quality of the snap, and @roxd explored the features available in snapcraft, I would recommend to contact upstream to see if they are interested in maintaining it. If so, after the transfer they can just hook their CI system to make continuous delivery following the instructions here: https://snapcraft.io/docs/build-snaps/ci-integration

Whenever they make a new stable release, that will get immediately to the store and can be made available to all the users in the stable channel.

If they are not interested in maintaining it, this snap repo can also be hooked to the daily cron from travis, so it’s extremely low maintenance for roxd and she can use her time in something more interesting like new snaps or other types of contributions.

I think there’s no need for a different snapcraft.yaml here. And I’d be happy to help in any of the two cases. Let me know how it goes.

pura vida

1 Like

Did I take the wrong approach here (with Corebird) then? I’m guessing I can still recommend they use build.snapcraft.io but that instead they just use the master snapcraft.yaml and wait for a new stable release before releasing a stable Snap?

There is no wrong, as I said, all these tools are made flexible to fit any preference. But in corebird, I would have just started to push to edge until a new release is tagged.

I’ve edited the description accordingly, the only issue with that approach is that there may not be a stable Snap until a new release is made, which could be a while (or it might not be)!

I’m glad that there’s a stable Snap up for xkcdpass (only just noticed), good job @roxd!

Yes this would probably be the way to go then. I’ve already opened up an “issue” in github explaining the snapcraft situation and haven’t heard back. I can do this until if/when the developer decides to take over.

thank you @elopio and @Ads20000 for the input. as my first snap, I don’t know all these small details!

works fine here - did you move out of beta ?

1 Like