Call For Testing: Warzone 2100

Description

A free and open source real time strategy game

In Warzone 2100, you command the forces of The Project in a battle to rebuild the world after mankind has almost been destroyed by nuclear missiles.

The game offers campaign, multi-player, and single-player skirmish modes. An extensive tech tree with over 400 different technologies, combined with the unit design system, allows for a wide variety of possible units and tactics.

Warzone 2100 was originally developed as a commercial game by Pumpkin Studios and published in 1999, and was released as open source by them in 2004, for the community to continue working on it.

Recommended minimum hardware:

• 2 GHz CPU
  • 128 MB graphics card with good OpenGL support
  • 200 MB free RAM for the game
  • 100 MB HD space for the game, up to ~ 1100 MB extra for the large videos

How to install

sudo snap install warzone2100 --beta

Optionally for the videos:

Download either the Low Quality 169MB or High Quality (~945MB) file and copy to the data directory:

mkdir -p $HOME/snap/warzone2100/current/.warzone-3.2
mv <downloaded-filename-probably-sequences.wz> $HOME/snap/warzone2100/current/.warzone-3.2/sequences.wz

Requested Setups

Ubuntu 16.04
Non-Ubuntu systems
VirtualBox
On machine with nVidia proprietary graphics drivers
On machine with AMD proprietary graphics drivers
On machine with AMD open-source graphics drivers
On machine with Intel graphics

Specific tests

Network play: hosting a game as well as joining a network game. Hosting a game behind a NAT device using UPnP to open a port in the router firewall.

Test that the videos work.

1 Like

Same issue I reported for castersoundboard. Depends on ubuntu-core but ubuntu-core is deprecated in favour of core.

warzone2100 
cannot locate the base snap: ubuntu-core: No such file or directory

snap install ubuntu-core
error: cannot install “ubuntu-core”, please use “core” instead

snap list
Name              Version        Rev   Developer  Notes
castersoundboard  0+git.c41a4f2  34    rikai      -
core              16-2.26.14     2462  canonical  core,devmode
warzone2100       3.2.3          5     diddledan  -

EDIT: For Reference

It would be great if you can manage to create a snap of steam :smiley:

I will try Warzone 2100. hopeful it will work

When i run warzone 2100 this is the output i get:

[syntist@archlinux ~]$ snap run warzone2100
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
Qt: Session management error: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported
info    |05:37:17: [realmain:938] Using /home/syntist/snap/warzone2100/5/.warzone2100-3.2/logs/WZlog-0906_053717.txt debug file
*** stack smashing detected ***: /snap/warzone2100/5/usr/bin/warzone2100 terminated
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I have copied the file.

Hey.

I’m trying to resolve the issue that affects the castersoundboard snap on your machine. I replied to the other thread already and if you have some time I would appreciated the extra information.

I just wanted to clarify one thing: none of those snaps technically depend on ubuntu-core or need to be updated. This seems to be a regression of some kind, affecting some users but not others. I’ll focus debugging on the castersoundboard thread you referenced.

@syntist : stack smashing detected. This is your bug that is affecting everything you appear to have tried installing :slight_smile:

typically points to a kernel missing some stackprotector config setting (i see that often on Ubuntu Core when people try new ports with own kernels)

I think @syntist is running arch. Several reports of @syntist’s have had the same stack smashing detected alert and the snaps have failed to run.

Yeah i am using Arch Linux!

i am facing these issues in arch,

Falkon also didn’t work. same segment fail error.

Nice work! Tested on two machines.

Ubuntu 16.04 / nVidia GPU
Ubuntu 17.10 / Intel GPU

Everything worked as expected in terms of graphics and sound. I was able to host and join local games and join remote games. However I couldn’t host an online game, “Game unreachable, failed to open a connection to port 2100” which is likely due to my strange (openwrt) network setup.

it might require the network-bind interface to be connected manually (I forget whether it’s automatic or not)

ignore that. if you successfully hosted locally then it is allowing bind already

1 Like

Ok so now I got my snap issue worked out. Installs and runs fine using Debian 9 (testing) with 4.12.1 kernel.

However that is only with the internal Intel card. I can’t seem to get this snap (though it could be all snaps) to run using my Nvidia discrete graphics card. Usually I can get away with just running the program with primusrun warzone2100

Not in this case though.

Again don’t think I can blame the snap just probably my ignorance of how to Do The Right Thing ™ within snaps.

Otherwise, perfectly playable responsive and just as I remember it oh I dunno… about 6 years ago since I last played it?

However that is only with the internal Intel card. I can’t seem to get this snap (though it could be all snaps) to run using my Nvidia discrete graphics card. Usually I can get away with just running the program with primusrun warzone2100

Hmm I think nVidia Optimus has always been a pain, and might need some clever hacks to get that kind of setup working with the confinement. I am not knowledgeable in that area though :frowning:

Otherwise, perfectly playable responsive and just as I remember it oh I dunno… about 6 years ago since I last played it?

I love that some of these old games have been opensauced. There’s also OpenRA which bundles Command & Conquer, Command & Conquer Red Alert, and Dune 2000 re-implementations from some very clever folk who reverse engineered the engine. (I’ve made that as a snap, too :slight_smile:)

Hey, nice. Can I suggest maybe providing a command in the snap that does the necessary downloads for you?

Something like:

warzon2100.download-videos [low|high]

That basically does a curl or wget with a target for you?

I can try, but they’re evil evil sourceforge links which means they really want you to load their web page and refuse to give you a direct link even under the direct link link.

@zyga-snapd I think arch linux snapd is facing stack smashing detected problem,
Warzone 2100 and Gnome-Twitch, same error.

Maybe @zyga-snapd can check this out.

as i said in another thread about arch already, this looks like a missing kernel config option:

CONFIG_CC_STACKPROTECTOR=y
CONFIG_CC_STACKPROTECTOR_REGULAR=y

both need to be set …

Can I suggest maybe providing a command in the snap that does the necessary downloads for you?

I’ve managed to find the direct path to the downloads on one of the sourceforge mirrors meaning I can add a script to download the files automatically.

You can now, with build 9 (amd64) or 10 (armhf), use a command in the terminal to download the videos:

warzone2100.download-videos { FORMAT }

FORMAT may be any one of:

• low-en: English low-quality re-encode from the original, also aliased to low.
  • std-en: Original quality files in English, also aliased to std.
  • std-de: Original quality files in German, this is the only non-English download.
  • high-en: High-quality re-encode from the original English, also aliased to high.
1 Like