Call for testing: VLC 3.0.0-rc1

Description

The VideoLAN team have pushed VLC 3.0.0-rc1 to the candidate channel in the snap store. This is in advance of the final 3.0.0 release of the world’s favourite video player.

How to install

snap install vlc --candidate

How to run

To ensure you’re running the snapped version (as opposed to any other version you may have installed) while testing, you can either:-

snap run vlc

or

/snap/bin/vlc

But if you have no other VLC packages installed, you should just be able to click the familiar icon in your desktop.

Requested Setups

We’re looking for as wide a pool of testing as possible!

We have tested playback with GPU accelerated video on modern systems, but we’d love to hear your feedback from using this build of VLC.

Reporting feedback

Please leave feedback here on this thread, and not on the VLC or other bug trackers for now as we shake down this pre-release. Thank you!

6 Likes

Works good for me, I haven’t done thorough testing though. I just wanted to point out that on HiDPI screens the controls look really small.

2 Likes

Works well here.

osomon@bribon:~$ hwinfo --gfxcard
Hardware Class: graphics card
Model: “Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller”
Vendor: pci 0x8086 “Intel Corporation”
Device: pci 0x0166 “3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller”
SubVendor: pci 0x17aa “Lenovo”
SubDevice: pci 0x21fa
Revision: 0x09
Driver: “i915”
Driver Modules: “i915”

One thing that doesn’t work though, is screen blanking prevention while playing back a video fullscreen. After one minute, my screen dims and then blanks, and the screensaver kicks in.
This is Ubuntu 17.10 on wayland, and vlc is connected to the screen-inhibit-control slot.

1 Like

It’s about time, though I didn’t even need to do anything. Just found it installed already.

Didn’t get to do thorough testing, but it seems to run properly on Kubuntu. Just wish the theme’s better, IMO

Yeah the theme looks wonky on Fedora too.

2 Likes

That actually looks way worse than what I got

Running Ubuntu 17.10 with Gnome

I get this message when i launch

$ snap run vlc
VLC media player 3.0.0-rc2 Vetinari (revision 3.0.0-rc1-64-gae8c173)
[0000000001588330] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "unity-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
Qt: Session management error: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported
[00000000016156d0] main playlist: playlist is empty

Doesn’t look pretty on first look. Will try playback next.

1 Like

Installation was fine. I am getting the same errors on startup when running on Ubuntu 17.04 as @nichlas is (although they don’t seem to affect anything). As long as it works as intended it’s good in my book.

For me it started playing the dvd at 5.01 minutes , it freezes and shutdown.
and now it won’t open any dvd disc. All my dvds works with videos and vlc2.
My favorite dvd player is the default Videos nice and rich pictures.

For Fedora27 it does not work well. Intel i7 Lenovo ThinkPad-X1-Carbon-3th-Genn.

Clicking through the open dialog to play a bluray disc, with no disc in the drive, causes VLC to segfault. Strangely this doesn’t happen on my laptop, which has no bluray nor dvd drive installed.

Ubuntu 16.04 64bit DVD drive installed, vlc segfaults when: clicking: Media - Open Disk… - Blu-ray - Play

Ubuntu 16.04,Ubuntu 17.10: playing files from removable storage like usb sticks fails, also playing files from samba network shares and /tmp fails.

What is the dvd, udf or someting else ?

and how much RAM do you have ?

Works great for me! Thanks for this update :slight_smile:

I am not getting any audio output.

Audio output failed:
The audio device "default" could not be used:
No such file or directory.

This can be related to my query regarding spotify not working. (Spotify does not play audio)

EDIT: missed the first error amidst the cacophony

[0000000002471860] vlcpulse audio output error: PulseAudio server connection failure: Connection refused

It looks like a solution is on the way via the following discusion:

So I’ve managed to test some audio and video playback using the snap and so far I’m very happy that it is not crashing all the time like my previous installed version used to on my nvidia rig. Still I would really prefer to have some fonts :smiley:

Happy holidays guys :slight_smile:

Can only play videos from ~/Videos. Even if I put a link int this directory, doesn’t work. Since I have my videos on a harddrive , not on my SSD, it doesn’t work. The video playback works for some tested videos. Since I can’t copy all my videos around, snap = fail.

snap interfaces vlc tells me it uses the home and removable-media and other plugs, but so far i could only play files from home, for “/media/{user}/{filesystem}/” i always get (Permission denied) in syslog.