Call for testing: VLC 3.0.0-rc1

Clicking through the open dialog to play a bluray disc, with no disc in the drive, causes VLC to segfault. Strangely this doesn’t happen on my laptop, which has no bluray nor dvd drive installed.

Ubuntu 16.04 64bit DVD drive installed, vlc segfaults when: clicking: Media - Open Disk… - Blu-ray - Play

Ubuntu 16.04,Ubuntu 17.10: playing files from removable storage like usb sticks fails, also playing files from samba network shares and /tmp fails.

What is the dvd, udf or someting else ?

and how much RAM do you have ?

Works great for me! Thanks for this update :slight_smile:

I am not getting any audio output.

Audio output failed:
The audio device "default" could not be used:
No such file or directory.

This can be related to my query regarding spotify not working. (Spotify does not play audio)

EDIT: missed the first error amidst the cacophony

[0000000002471860] vlcpulse audio output error: PulseAudio server connection failure: Connection refused

It looks like a solution is on the way via the following discusion:

So I’ve managed to test some audio and video playback using the snap and so far I’m very happy that it is not crashing all the time like my previous installed version used to on my nvidia rig. Still I would really prefer to have some fonts :smiley:

Happy holidays guys :slight_smile:

Can only play videos from ~/Videos. Even if I put a link int this directory, doesn’t work. Since I have my videos on a harddrive , not on my SSD, it doesn’t work. The video playback works for some tested videos. Since I can’t copy all my videos around, snap = fail.

snap interfaces vlc tells me it uses the home and removable-media and other plugs, but so far i could only play files from home, for “/media/{user}/{filesystem}/” i always get (Permission denied) in syslog.

is anyone having problems using kde-connect to control vlc 3.0.0-rc3 ?
edit: rc1 ~ rc2 worked with kde-connect

syslog with rev 59:

org.kde.kdeconnect[2046]: kdeconnect.plugin.mpris: MPRIS service “org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.vlc” just came online
org.kde.kdeconnect[2046]: kdeconnect.plugin.mpris: Mpris addPlayer “org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.vlc” -> “VLC media player”

in rc3 this doesn’t work anymore.

I believe removable-media needs to be connected manually:

sudo snap connect vlc:removable-media
1 Like

I think its the apparmor file connected to snap. They limit the directories an app can access. Which makes sense in most cases. What really sucks is that they do not support links properly. If they follow links, they use the physical location instead of the link. If your system is on an SSD and you have a hard drive for movies, statically mounted, you have no chance to use it.

I’m having a problem with the VLC snap.

I’m running the version in candidate (3.0.0-rc4-17-g661df83) and my laptop is using a HDPi configuration. When I try to seek I’m seeing this:

And if I click nothing happens.
It looks like if it was not detecting the cursor position correctly. Does anybody suffer from this?

just make sure to mount it under the /media folder, then the removable-media interface will giuve you full access …

Screen: 1920x1080, vlc 3.0.0-rc5: seeking works, but i’m seeing the same cursor behavior

Can someone tell me why vlc.snap is not recognize idiom system from my OS linuxmint 18.3. Idiom system spanish.?

Perhaps the snaps do not recognize the default language of the operating system.? I have seen that some applications in snap only come in English.

I have installed the same version vlc in flatpak and the flatpak recognizes the language of my system, which in this case is Spanish.

/usr/share/libdrm/amdgpu.ids: No such file or directory
amdgpu_device_initialize: Cannot parse ASIC IDs, 0xffffffea.[00007f58bc001430] filesystem stream error: cannot open file /media/haug/data-1/movie/MyMovie.m2t (Permission denied)