Call for testing: notepad-plus-plus

Nothing to do with this snap: your issue is a bad proxy setting, as per

Is there a known issue with unix dot-files? (filenames beginning with a period). I don’t expect to see them listed in the Open menu but, when I explicitly try to open one, I see error message:

Cannot open file “Z:\home\flymike\.wget.hsts”

I do have read/write permission on the file.

How can I find further diagnostic information on this error?

dot files in the root of your home folder and explicitly denied to snaps to prevent malicious snaps from reading sensitive data. If you move the file to not have a . in front of it or move it to a subdirectory that doesn’t start with a . then you should be able to edit it.

Also, I see that the the file you posted doesn’t start with a .

For further information, you can check the journal with

journalctl -e --no-pager | grep DENIED

which should show the apparmor denial for the notepad-plus-plus snap trying to access that file.

Thanks for the explanation.
So, I think you’re saying this is a restriction of snaps in general, and not particular to notepad++. Right?
BTW the dot wasn’t visible because I originally failed to escape the escape character (backslash) preceding it.

Yes that restriction is not particular to notepad++. The only exception is if the snap author uses a personal-files interface, which will only grant access to specific dotfiles, such as a AWS snap might use the personal-files interface to access specifically $HOME/.aws/...

Hello, @mmtrt ! Your programs are amazing! I and my teacher develop a small program writted on C# with Windows Forms and now we want to port it to GNU/Linux via WINE. Please, say me how you port your programs by this way.
P.S. See our FLOSS project here: https://gitlab.com/pozharovartyom/securities
Thanks in advance!

Don’t see any other mention of this so wanted to report trying the “Plugins Admin” to install “Python Script” and it worked flawlessly. Installed, created a script, assigned it to a hotkey, everything just as expected. Probably shouldn’t have surprised me, but very pleasantly.

Hi. Is there any way to use this snap as root? It would be cool if I could do “sudo snap run notepad-plus-plus”

“notepad-plus-plus winecfg” does not bring up winecfg. I keep forgetting how to do it. What is the correct syntax to bring up winecfg?

Due to script changes in snap now it works like this,

notepad-plus-plus.wine winecfg