Call for testing: libreoffice 5.4.1

Call for testing: libreoffice 5.4.1

Description

LibreOffice is a free and open source office suite, developed by The Document Foundation. The LibreOffice suite comprises programs for word processing, the creation and editing of spreadsheets, slideshows, diagrams and drawings, working with databases, and composing mathematical formulae.

Capture du 2017-09-21 17-30-43

How to install

snap install libreoffice --candidate

Note that the snap can coexist with the ubuntu packages. If you wish to remove the ubuntu packages to use solely the snap, you can do:

sudo apt remove “libreoffice*”
sudo apt autoremove

Requested Setups

At the moment that version of the snap is available for amd64 processors only. I have successfully tested it on Ubuntu 16.04, 17.04 and 17.10. In general it is expected to work on any linux distribution that supports snaps.

Specific Tests

I’m interested in your feedback on any tasks you perform using all the apps in the libreoffice suite.
Please report any issues you encounter in this thread. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi! will libreoffice snap add multi langauge support? Thx for packaging this.

The snap has built-in support for the following locales: en-US, de, es, fr, it, pt, pt-BR.
Which other language would you like to see added to it?

It would be nice to have zh_TW.

ja_JP support makes me happy.

I’ve added zh-TW and ja to the list of languages and kicked off a new build, let’s see how much bigger the snap gets with those two additional language packs, and if it gets you libreoffice in your locales.

Thx! I would give it a try later and see what I can found.

The increase in size for those two language packs is 20.9MB. The resulting snap is available here.
Please test and let me know if your locales (zh-TW and ja) are fully supported (you can download that snap file and install it with snap install --dangerous libreoffice_5.4.1.2_amd64.snap).

Hi! I’ve downloaded it and gave it a try.

Right now the fonts are still hollow squares, which indicates missing fonts I think.
I believe locale is implemented since the text in the global menu are translated correctly, but not so within the program window itself.

Here are the screenshots, hope this helps.

Fonts in the global menu displayed corrctly.
2017-09-23 17-34-27 的螢幕擷圖

But within the program it’s showing nothing but squares.

ja env is same as @extraymond

Perhaps font loading problem will be fixed at snapd 2.29?

You can snapcraft push <this-snap> and then use the assigned revision number to release it to a temporary branch like snapcraft release libreoffice <assigned-revision-number> edge/with-jp-and-zh-locales and instruct people to install by doing:

snap install libreoffice --channel edge/with-jp-and-zh-locales

Maybe. The libreoffice snap would also need to be updated to plug the new desktop interface too: I didn’t bother adding font access to the legacy unity7 interface it is currently using.

I tested the core snap from the edge channel and added the desktop interface to the libreoffice snap, and I can confirm that fonts from the host system are being used. Thanks @jamesh!
Until that is available in a released version of snapd however, we will probably need to add the fonts for CJK in the snap. I’ll experiment with this and see how much bigger the snap gets.

1 Like

I’d like to request spell checking capabilities for, if possible, all languages. Spell checking is crucial, and without it the snap version will always be inferior to the .deb.

If spell checking for all langauges is not currently possible, my use case demands english, japanese and polish at least.

Ack. This is tracked by bug #1680928.

libreoffice 5.4.2 is now available for testing in the candidate channel, see this thread.