Call for Testing: Gnome Twitch

Enjoy Twitch on your GNU/Linux desktop

Easily browse and search channels and games. Keep track of your follows whether you have a Twitch account or not. A super fast, hardware-accelerated player plus a fully integrated native chat makes for a fantastic viewing experience. GNOME Twitch is packed with cool features and development is constantly on-going, bringing heaps of new stuff straight to you.

To Install:

sudo apt install snapd-xdg-open
sudo snap install --beta gnome-twitch
sudo snap install gnome-3-24
sudo snap connect gnome-twitch:gnome-3-24-platform gnome-3-24:gnome-3-24-platform

2 Likes

Should this work with 16.04? Unsure if I’m doing something wrong, my setup is busted, or if it’s not supposed to work…
After connecting the interface to the gnome-3-24 platform snap, the gnome-twitch app still only displays the error message to connect to the platform snap.

I’ve got the platform refreshed to --edge, and gnome-twitch on --beta, core up to date (but still stable). As well, gnome-clocks has the same issue, but gnome-sudoku runs totally perfectly.

I think this is likely the bug described here where you can only connect a content interface (in this case the gnome-3-24 platform) onto a previously unopened snap. A reboot will likely clear it out and there is also a hack by running sudo /usr/lib/snapd/snap-discard-ns gnome-twitch and trying again. That command might require the connection to be re-established with the snap connect command afterwards, but I’m not certain on that.

When i run gnome-twitch the error the output is

[syntist@archlinux ~]$ snap run gnome-twitch
[12:43:24] Unknown - GLib-GIO : No GSettings schemas are installed on the system
Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

@Syntist if you ran the snap before connecting the gnome-3-24 interface then there is a slight bug which will require a rebuild to fix. ref: https://github.com/ubuntu/snapcraft-desktop-helpers/pull/70

To bypass this, remove the file $HOME/snap/gnome-twitch/current/.last_revision and try launching the snap again.

Thanks Got it Working :smiley:

But when i select OpenGL renderer, the app crashes. Maybe cause the opengl renderer is not included.

the opengl renderer works for me… how annoying. don’t you love bugs you can’t reproduce on your own system? There might be helpful information output if you try running from a console and reproduce the crash, though I’m expecting not:

$ snap run gnome-twitch

or

$ /snap/bin/gnome-twitch

and if /snap/bin is in your path you can also launch it with

$ gnome-twitch

It’s like a choose-your-own adventure: all three go to the same place, but you get to feel good about choosing the right one :-p

Sorry Forgot to post the Bug report,

The output when i select the opengl renderer and than try to play the stream:

[syntist@archlinux ~]$ gnome-twitch

(gnome-twitch:1436): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
	Using the fallback 'C' locale.
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
[22:38:43] Message - GNOME-Twitch : {GtApp:370} Startup, running version 'r12.eb59b1e'
[22:38:43] Message - GNOME-Twitch : {GtFollowsManager:254} Follows file at '/home/syntist/snap/gnome-twitch/2/.local/share/gnome-twitch/followed-channels.json' doesn't exist
[22:38:43] Message - GNOME-Twitch : {GtApp:339} Activate
[22:38:43] Message - GNOME-Twitch : {GtPlayer:132} Loading chat settings
[22:38:44] Message - GNOME-Twitch : {GtPlayer:999} Loaded player backend 'GStreamer Cairo player backend'
[22:38:44] Message - GNOME-Twitch : {GtPlayerBackendGstreamerCairo:246} Init
[22:38:44] Warning - GNOME-Twitch : cannot set NULL uri
LibThai: Fail to open dictionary at '/usr/share/libthai/thbrk.tri'.
[22:38:49] Message - GNOME-Twitch : {GtPlayer:999} Loaded player backend 'GStreamer OpenGL player backend'
[22:38:49] Message - GNOME-Twitch : {GtPlayer:1059} Unloaded player backend 'GStreamer Cairo player backend'
[22:38:49] Message - GNOME-Twitch : {GtPlayerBackendGstreamerCairo:116} Finalise
[22:38:49] Message - GNOME-Twitch : {GtPlayerBackendGstreamerOpenGL:253} {GtPlayerBackendGstreamerOpenGL} Init
[22:38:50] Warning - GNOME-Twitch : cannot set NULL uri
[22:39:00] Message - GNOME-Twitch : {GtPlayer:1310} Opening stream 'drdisrespectlive' with quality 'source'
*** stack smashing detected ***: /var/lib/snapd/snap/gnome-twitch/2/usr/bin/gnome-twitch terminated
Aborted (core dumped)

And the Browser used to sign in twitch is also not working for me:

(gnome-twitch:1921): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
	Using the fallback 'C' locale.
[22:48:32] Message - GNOME-Twitch : {GtApp:370} Startup, running version 'r12.eb59b1e'
[22:48:32] Message - GNOME-Twitch : {GtFollowsManager:254} Follows file at '/home/syntist/snap/gnome-twitch/2/.local/share/gnome-twitch/followed-channels.json' doesn't exist
[22:48:32] Message - GNOME-Twitch : {GtApp:339} Activate
[22:48:32] Message - GNOME-Twitch : {GtPlayer:132} Loading chat settings
[22:48:32] Message - GNOME-Twitch : {GtPlayer:999} Loaded player backend 'GStreamer OpenGL player backend'
[22:48:32] Message - GNOME-Twitch : {GtPlayerBackendGstreamerOpenGL:253} {GtPlayerBackendGstreamerOpenGL} Init
[22:48:32] Warning - GNOME-Twitch : cannot set NULL uri
Unable to fork a new WebProcess: Failed to execute child process ?/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/webkit2gtk-4.0/WebKitNetworkProcess? (No such file or directory).
Unable to fork a new WebProcess: Failed to execute child process ?/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/webkit2gtk-4.0/WebKitWebProcess? (No such file or directory).

I have checked these, they are present in gnome-3-24 but still saying no such file!!

Do you have an nvidia graphics card? There’s a thread just started today about similar breakage in the chromium snap: Chromium snap doesn't work with the nvidia proprietary driver

Had a play with gnome-twitch snap on 16.04 and it works well. However I’m not able to get to the settings screen or figure out how to login to twitch. The 0.4.1 deb on 17.10 allows me to login, so I can see who I am following etc. Is this something that can be added to the snap?