Call for testing: gitkraken

here another snap from me.

snap repo

snap store link

Install instructions

sudo snap install gitkraken
sudo snap connect gitkraken:removable-media

Note: First run will take some time to load the app so have some patience :wink:

Feedback is welcome.

Thanks

Fantastic! I’ve been hoping someone would snap this :slight_smile:

installed and tested briefly on 17.10 Ubuntu MATE here. Works as expected!

Thanks for testing and giving feedback.

The main reason I created this snap was that when I was using KDE Plasma and installed this app via deb it could not run without installing some gnome libs those were on suggested packages and I had to search why its not working on plasma and so now with this snap when I’m on plasma again if ever then will have painless experience using this snap.

It seems to work amazing. Great visualization tool for looking through properly serious projects, like snapd (when you’re not a programmer)

It’s strange that after I entered ‘gitkraken’, I will be logged out and brought back to the gdm login screen. Nothing like that happens to me if I run other snaps such as libreoffice, telegram and skype. The official deb version downloaded from gitkraken website also works fine.

Can you share info about distro you are using and also try running app via terminal with gitkraken command and share log here of this.

I use this snap all day nothing like this happen to me.

Ubuntu 17.10, kernel 4.13.0-32-generic, core snap 16-2.30 (3887), snapd 2.29.4.2+17.10.
I did run it from terminal, but it does not output any logs :frowning:

Just tested this snap on same distro but installed from newer iso 17.10.1 that is available so I did fresh install with all updates installed and not found any issues during testing I did, login my account cloned a repo and open it and reboot system, again run the app it worked fine with account logged in on second run and it seems like your snapd is older then I have on this test machine its 2.30 and this could be the culprit.

Thanks

This usually means you are running Wayland and something has gone horribly wrong with either that or Gnome-shell. A crash in either of those components will drop you back at the login screen. It is possible that somehow a bad interaction between gitkraken and Wayland could be a cause. More investigation will be needed though to work out what’s amiss.

@mmtrt How has testing been going? Any plans to push to the stable channel for wider reach?

I ran it but it was blinking badly. I will try on some more machines, maybe it was caused by virtualisation.

I used it on 18.04 and had no flickering. Using nvidia binary driver.

I was using it on my 5K display. When it is not maximised it doesn’t flicker.

Pretty much using it since posted this thread here for git and I did not faced any problem apart from users are posting here and for debugging I have not done that much any but I had these denials from fresh install to login account only time.

= AppArmor =
Time: Feb 16 14:46:00
Log: apparmor="DENIED" operation="dbus_method_call"  bus="system" path="/" interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.ObjectManager" member="GetManagedObjects" mask="send" name="org.bluez" pid=15011 label="snap.gitkraken.gitkraken" peer_pid=1197 peer_label="unconfined"
DBus access

= AppArmor =
Time: Feb 16 14:46:00
Log: apparmor="DENIED" operation="open" profile="snap.gitkraken.gitkraken" name="/sys/devices/system/memory/block_size_bytes" pid=15572 comm="gitkraken" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r" fsuid=1000 ouid=0
File: /sys/devices/system/memory/block_size_bytes (read)
Suggestion:
* adjust program to not access '/sys/devices/system/memory/block_size_bytes'

= AppArmor =
Time: Feb 16 14:46:09
Log: apparmor="DENIED" operation="exec" profile="snap.gitkraken.gitkraken" name="/sbin/ifconfig" pid=15757 comm="sh" requested_mask="x" denied_mask="x" fsuid=1000 ouid=0
File: /sbin/ifconfig (exec)
Suggestions:
* adjust snap to ship 'ifconfig'
* adjust program to use relative paths if the snap already ships 'ifconfig'

= AppArmor =
Time: Feb 16 14:46:09
Log: apparmor="DENIED" operation="exec" profile="snap.gitkraken.gitkraken" name="/bin/ip" pid=15758 comm="sh" requested_mask="x" denied_mask="x" fsuid=1000 ouid=0
File: /bin/ip (exec)
Suggestions:
* adjust snap to ship 'ip'
* adjust program to use relative paths if the snap already ships 'ip'

= AppArmor =
Time: Feb 16 14:46:16
Log: apparmor="DENIED" operation="dbus_signal"  bus="session" path="/org/gtk/gio/DesktopAppInfo" interface="org.gtk.gio.DesktopAppInfo" member="Launched" mask="send" name="org.freedesktop.DBus" pid=15832 label="snap.gitkraken.gitkraken" peer_pid=1857 peer_label="unconfined"
DBus access

= AppArmor =
Log: apparmor="DENIED" operation="dbus_signal"  bus="session" path="/org/gtk/gio/DesktopAppInfo" interface="org.gtk.gio.DesktopAppInfo" member="Launched" mask="send" name="org.freedesktop.DBus" pid=15832 label="snap.gitkraken.gitkraken" peer_pid=1910 peer_label="unconfined"
DBus access

= AppArmor =
Log: apparmor="DENIED" operation="dbus_signal"  bus="session" path="/org/gtk/gio/DesktopAppInfo" interface="org.gtk.gio.DesktopAppInfo" member="Launched" mask="send" name="org.freedesktop.DBus" pid=15832 label="snap.gitkraken.gitkraken" peer_pid=2978 peer_label="unconfined"
DBus access

it seems like login account is broken on kde and it could be as well broken on xfce & mate not tested these.

/snap/gitkraken/8/usr/bin/xdg-open: 566: /snap/gitkraken/8/usr/bin/xdg-open: kde-open5: not found

That sounds like the snap is pulling in xdg-open as part of stage-packages or similar. If the snap didn’t do that, it would use xdg-open from core, which is a special xdg-open to call out to snap userd so it will launch the application on the snap’s behalf.

Indeed true removing xdg-utils stage-package from snap solves that issue and I can login again.

App updated to 3.4.0

snap is now available in stable channel.

This snap is picked up by upstream developers so it is now released by Axosoft. It has been good 8 months since I released this snap.

Continue getting the updates of this snap

snap remove gitkraken
snap install gitkraken

Thanks
TR

How are others dealing with their ssh keys for auth? Moving them out of their .ssh folder sicne the snap cannot acces dotfile folder?

Thank you.

EDIT - yes I could change my origin URL to use HTTPS, but would like to be able to maintain current workflow compatibility.