Call for testing: chromium snap

After The update (snapd snapd-2.27.3-1) Thanks to @zyga-snapd.

Its working now but the one problem remains, no HW Acceleration on my side.

Canvas: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable
CheckerImaging: Disabled
Flash: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable
Flash Stage3D: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable
Flash Stage3D Baseline profile: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable
Compositing: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable
Multiple Raster Threads: Enabled
Native GpuMemoryBuffers: Software only. Hardware acceleration disabled
Rasterization: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable
Video Decode: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable
Video Encode: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable
WebGL: Hardware accelerated but at reduced performance
WebGL2: Unavailable
1 Like

That snap currently requires X11, so Iā€™m afraid not.

I am using X11, gnome 3.24 x11 nvidia gpu.

FYI, this will be in snapd 2.27.4: https://github.com/snapcore/snapd/commits/release/2.27

Thats Cool :smiley: , so maybe there can be steam snap also, it would be awesome as flatpak have it though.

would be great if this release support themes :stuck_out_tongue:

I get a black window on Solus with Snapd version 2.27-4 and Nvidia proprietary drivers 340

Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
[10346:10437:0904/225759.744368:ERROR:udev_watcher.cc(60)] Failed to begin udev enumeration.

Just tried chromium from edge on my nvidia machine and I get an un-rendered window now :frowning:

Iā€™ve just installed the chromium snap on Solus and I only get a black screen. Anything I can do to debug this?

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Is this with nvidia hardware and proprietary drivers?

Can you look for apparmor denials in the syslog?

Sometimes, by chance, I donā€™t know if it happens after an update, I find myself a tab open on the dock and a card not visible on the dock.
A little while ago I discovered I had another chromium open browser card, thanks to alt tab.
The problem never occurred in the ā€œ.debā€ version.

Ubuntu 19.04

$ snap info chromium
name: chromium
summary: Chromium web browser, open-source version of Chrome
publisher: Canonicalāœ“
contact: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/chromium-browser/+bugs?field.tag=snap
license: unset
description: |
An open-source browser project that aims to build a safer, faster, and more stable way for all
Internet users to experience the web.
commands:

• chromium.chromedriver
  • chromium
    snap-id: XKEcBqPM06H1Z7zGOdG5fbICuf8NWK5R
    tracking: stable
    refresh-date: today at 20:53 CEST
    channels:
    stable: 75.0.3770.80 2019-06-12 (750) 162MB -
    candidate: 75.0.3770.80 2019-06-06 (750) 162MB -
    beta: 75.0.3770.87 2019-06-11 (754) 162MB -
    edge: 76.0.3809.21 2019-06-12 (758) 160MB -
    installed: 75.0.3770.80 (750) 162MB -

snap connecionts: https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/wCyNMBwW5V/ -

Log: https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/XmD2GgJV6K/

This is a known issue, which is actively being worked on.

1 Like

The GTK+ theme is not working for me in Ubuntu 19.04 with Yaru when not choosing not to show the system window border (CSD?).
Classic theme works fine, but when setting Chromium to use GTK+ theme, it displays a white window border where only the close button is displayed, the minimize and maximize buttons are only shown on hover.
See the attached screenshot. The mouse is hovering over the maximize button.

Interestingly, the theme work fine if the Chromium window is unfocusedā€¦

This is also a known issue: bug #1800260.

1 Like

January 2021. Chromium snap is still in a very bad shape:

• All channels point to 88, but Edge. And Beta is even older than Stable (88.0.4324.87 vs 88.0.4324.96). Channels should represent actual Chromium channels and their versions: Beta is 89, Canary is 90 right now.
  • GPU acceleration doesnā€™t work and right GL patches arenā€™t applied, works in Chrome.
  • Video decode doesnā€™t work, now works in Chrome after enabling the flag (20% CPU utilization on 1440p@60 video).

Instead of one of the most important snaps we have a ā€œ4KB Challengeā€.

Thatā€™s incorrect, beta on linux is currently 88.0.4324.96, and dev is 89.0.4389.9, which is what the edge channel is tracking (see https://omahaproxy.appspot.com/). There is no canary for linux.

The versions were from the SnapStore:
snapstore-chromium_2021-01-26_17-23

beta is older than the stable.

Yes, Iā€™ve made a mistake and 89 is Chrome dev (not beta), but it doesnā€™t discard my point. Chromeā€™s definition of canary (a bleeding edge version) is what SnapStore usually names as edge. SnapStore supports custom channel names, why not to make dev? And if thereā€™s really no way to build canary, then just build master as edge. And remove the candidate if it isnā€™t used.

Candidate is used, there just isnā€™t a new release version to test before itā€™s released to stable right now.

Shouldnā€™t be the stable the same as previous beta release, but without the suffix in name? Not sure if it makes sense to keep an entire channel purely for testing this build step.

The candidate channel is often used by developers to push a build before going to stable. It allows them to make a public ā€œreleaseā€ to a limited set of enthusiasts who are happy to test it before it reaches a wider audience where errors might be found. Itā€™s up to the publisher which channels they use, each to their own.

1 Like

I thought that Chrome names this channel as beta and the snap could following naming convention from the original project. Iā€™m okay with additional step, but there should be also dev, edge should follow nightly master to resemble its name and/or canary.