Call for testing: chromium snap

Very much thank you for supporting 32bit! I expect it to say me ‘not found’ error, as 64bit apps do in snap install tool on 32bit distribution.

UPD: Working very well, no font glitches or something else for me.

TBH, I was surprised that the sandbox was not setuid based on my work with chrome and chromium test snaps. That fact that Arch needs it and others don’t may indicate it is needed everywhere or that it needs a fix to work on Arch (this is why I asked if @oSoMoN intended to have it on or not).

Ok, this indicates something else is wrong with the snap. I’ll be sending up a PR for the security denials).

FYI, here is a PR for the vmstat and udev denials: https://github.com/snapcore/snapd/pull/3751

Thanks for the feedback!
I’m adding fonts-noto-cjk and fonts-thai-tlwg to the stage packages.

Yes indeed. There’s no generic mechanism to do that yet (see point #2 in this post), so at the moment the solution is to add font packages to the stage packages (thus increasing the final size of the snap, unfortunately).

Fortunately snapcraft strips out the setuid/setgid bits only on unpacked debs.

The chromium snap uses a custom build step where it copies files from packages installed in the build environment, so I can add a chmod invokation to set the setuid bit in the install scriptlet.

I’ll take this to mean you want it setuid, so I’ll update the review tools accordingly (in the meantime, feel free to ping me on irc if your upload triggers manual review). Please be sure to verify that the chmod is enough (ie, you don’t also need a chown). If you need both, do chown first, then chmod.

Thanks for updating the review tools. I’m currently pushing updated snaps to the store, so I will need your ack indeed. It looks like chmod only is enough.

Thanks for the package! I just tested --candidate version on Ubuntu 16.04 with the latest (unreleased) snapd 2.27.2.

This gets printed when I launch it:

Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

Also opening downloaded files and show in folder aren’t working (xdg-open).

Here’s the full log but other than this it seems to work well.

[2708:2855:0817/133911.887059:ERROR:udev_watcher.cc(60)] Failed to begin udev enumeration.
[2708:3426:0817/133936.724692:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(573)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.UPower.GetDisplayDevice: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: An AppArmor policy prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient; type="method_call", sender=":1.91" (uid=1000 pid=2708 comm="/snap/chromium/5/usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium") interface="org.freedesktop.UPower" member="GetDisplayDevice" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination="org.freedesktop.UPower" (uid=0 pid=1342 comm="/usr/lib/upower/upowerd ")
[2708:3426:0817/134002.193913:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(573)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.UPower.GetDisplayDevice: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: An AppArmor policy prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient; type="method_call", sender=":1.92" (uid=1000 pid=2708 comm="/snap/chromium/5/usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium") interface="org.freedesktop.UPower" member="GetDisplayDevice" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination="org.freedesktop.UPower" (uid=0 pid=1342 comm="/usr/lib/upower/upowerd ")
Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name com.canonical.SafeLauncher was not provided by any .service files
Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name com.canonical.SafeLauncher was not provided by any .service files
[2708:2861:0817/134333.618247:ERROR:service_manager.cc(142)] Connection InterfaceProviderSpec prevented service: content_plugin from binding interface: memory_instrumentation::mojom::Coordinator exposed by: content_browser

xdg-open inside snaps is currently limited to http/https and help protocols … details about a re-implementation are at:

2 Likes

Beside this limitation, there is also that bug that prevents xdg-open from working at all at the moment.

oh, right, i thought 2.27.2 was released already but it is only in beta/candidate yet…

I have just pushed a new version of the chromium snap to the candidate channel, with a fixed setuid sandbox and additional fonts for CJK and Thai language support.

Please keep the useful feedback coming!

1 Like

Can we do some diplomacy and get the packaging upstream, is there a chance for that ?

Also why is the size difference between candidate and beta version relatively huge ?

candidate: 60.0.3112.101 (9) 244MB -
  beta:      61.0.3163.39  (1) 151MB -
1 Like

That would be great (and AFAIK there is an ongoing conversation with upstream already), but the snap package in its current form relies on the debian packages in a set of PPAs, so not useable as-is for an upstream snap. But it wouldn’t be difficult to change that to actually build chromium as part of the build process.

See my comments from 5 days ago: I added fonts-noto-cjk and fonts-thai-tlwg to the stage packages, because we currently don’t have a mechanism to share fonts between snaps, unfortunately.
I did that in candidate only, but I will update the beta channel today and will add the fonts there too.

Thanks everyone for the useful feedback. I have now promoted version 60.0.3112.101 to the stable channel. Enjoy and keep the feedback and bug reports coming (see the original post for instructions on how to file bugs with all the relevant information).

1 Like

And the beta channel has been updated to version 61.0.3163.49.

I don’t know but any app that uses chromium (blink engine) not working for me,

[syntist@archlinux ~]$ snap run chromium
*** stack smashing detected ***: /var/lib/snapd/snap/chromium/13/usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium-browser --type=gpu-process --field-trial-handle=4255232481339090463,5380338833867286810,131072 --supports-dual-gpus=false --gpu-driver-bug-workarounds=9,27,84 --disable-gl-extensions=GL_KHR_blend_equation_advanced GL_KHR_blend_equation_advanced_coherent --disable-accelerated-video-decode --gpu-vendor-id=0x0000 --gpu-device-id=0x0000 --gpu-driver-vendor --gpu-driver-version --gpu-driver-date --service-request-channel-token=611B56BFA1976FDFE69D1F1690617D5A terminated
Received signal 6
Received signal 11 <unknown> 000000000000

just a chromium window with black screen,

and same error with discord not showing!

Edit: Using Arch Linux.

Confirmed chromium on antergos in Virtualbox gives me an un-rendered (empty) window, later (if left long enough) followed by a usual Chromium “Page unresponsive” dialog, also un-rendered.

file:///home/alan/VirtualBox_Antergos_22_08_2017_14_00_13.png