Call for testing: Brackets 1.9

Hi all,

A snap for Brackets, “a modern code editor for HTML, CSS and JavaScript.”, has been published for with :sparkling_heart: by Snapcrafters. The snap is ready for wider testing, please install it and post your feedback here.

Install

sudo apt install snapd-xdg-open
sudo snap install brackets --classic --beta

The snapcraft.yaml can be found in the Snapcrafters GitHub.

@Wimpress this repo, is it somewhere I should be putting the Mumble yaml once it’s ready?

Hi Martin. I just installed and will test while I write some scripts today. Any particular points that need to be covered?

• Install works fine.
  • menu items exist as expected.
  • Application will not launch via menu.
  • Launched via CLI (see if there is any error output)
  • Received:
/snap/brackets/1/opt/brackets/brackets: error while loading shared libraries: libudev.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
  • Tried:
$ dpkg -S libudev
libudev1:amd64: /usr/share/doc/libudev1/copyright
libudev1:amd64: /usr/share/doc/libudev1
libudev1:amd64: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libudev.so.1.6.5
libudev1:amd64: /usr/share/doc/libudev1/changelog.Debian.gz
libudev1:amd64: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libudev.so.1
dkrysak@awslin01:~$ sudo apt install libudev1
<snip>
libudev1 is already the newest version (232-21ubuntu5)
  • But I did not expect that to work as the package doesn’t have libudev.so.0.
  • From my reading, looks like for 64-bit Ubuntu, it is in the 32-bit libudev0 package, but this package was removed from Ubuntu in 14.04.
  • Double checked and libudev-dev does not contain this shared lib either.

Yes! :smiley:

We are just getting everything ready for an improved Snapcrafters process :slight_smile: Here is the template we’ll be asking Snapcrafters to work from:

Thanks for the feedback.

OK, I’m not running into that issue here. That said, I’m having to grab an older libgrypt so I’ll investigate doing the same for libudev.

Great! I was looking at that earlier today.

Is there a package on your system that is providing libudev.so.0?

@Wimpress - temp fix.

sudo ln -s /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libudev.so.1 /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libudev.so.0

Then it launches without issue. Seems hacky, but found other references to this error in https://github.com/adobe/brackets/issues/4720.

So it is an issue upstream in Adobe as well. It’s been an issue since 2013. And the last comment was back on Oct 15, 2015.

I guess a scriptlet could check for the existence of this file and then ln -s if needed.

1 Like

@Wimpress - I’m experiencing the same libudev.so.0 issue. I’m on ubuntu 16.04.

It doesn’t work here:

Cannot load module /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/immodules/im-ibus.so: GModule (/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/immodules/im-ibus.so) initialization check failed: GLib version too old (micro mismatch)
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/immodules/im-ibus.so does not export GTK+ IM module API: GModule (/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/immodules/im-ibus.so) initialization check failed: GLib version too old (micro mismatch)
/snap/brackets/2/opt/brackets/brackets: error while loading shared libraries: libudev.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

(Ubuntru 17.04, AMD64).

@Wimpress Kudos, is there a reason the snap is built from DEB packaging and not source? (GitHub)

@tng247 Only because that was the quickest way to get something working. Feel free to contribute a from source build :slight_smile:

1 Like