Build fails for platform i386

I encounter failing builds for platform i386, the root cause is this:

linux32: failed to execute snap: No such file or directory
Install failed
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/lpbuildd/target/build_snap.py", line 251, in run
    self.install()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/lpbuildd/target/build_snap.py", line 162, in install
    snap_name])
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/lpbuildd/target/lxd.py", line 537, in run
    subprocess.check_call(cmd, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/subprocess.py", line 311, in check_call
    raise CalledProcessError(retcode, cmd)
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '['lxc', 'exec', 'lp-focal-i386', '--', 'linux32', 'snap', 'install', '--channel=stable', 'core20']' returned non-zero exit status 127.

so this line linux32: failed to execute snap: No such file or directory looks like the build server is somehow misconfigured or screwed up.

core20 is the reason. Ubuntu 20.04 is the OS used to build core20, and i386 is no longer a supported architecture. Either revert to core18 if you need i386, or use the architectures stanza to omit building i386 for core20.

So:

architectures:
  - build-on: amd64
  - build-on: arm64
  - build-on: armhf

etc for all architectures you want to support.

(also, apologies, this is my fault given I did the PR for this snap). :smiley:

2 Likes

Hey Alan,

no worries, and thanks for the insight.
Is there any reason that comes to mind why not also making it available for core18 and therefore for more other platforms as well? Anything that might be then different specific to snaps?

BR
Sven

Only that so few people use i386 these days, there’s not a lot of point in going back to core18 to be honest. It’s technically possible, if you need to support people on that architecture, for sure.

1 Like