Blender snap

I’ve just made available another snap of Blender, named blender as well. This is an alternative to @tomascw’s blender-tpaw snap, which is still relevant and available (details here). Thomas’ snap is using strict confinement, which will be better in some circumstances, while this one is using classic confinement for the time being. Once we manage to make blender work entirely confined we should probably merge those two efforts.

All the on going upstream branches of development have been made available in independent channels, in the following manner:

• stable - The current 2.78 stable release.
  • candidate - The test builds for the upcoming 2.79 release.
  • beta - The latest builds for the upcoming 2.79 release.
  • edge - The experimental and somewhat unstable builds for the medium term Blender 2.8 release.

The builds are the ones provided by the upstream Blender project itself.

As this is a classic snap with unconfined access to the classic system, the installation must be done similarly to:

snap install --classic --channel=stable

Please let me know if you have any feedback.

2 Likes

Oi @d0od I’m not on my computer ATM but this sounds cool? :stuck_out_tongue:

Great to see more snaps of big software coming out though! Thanks Niemeyer! #GottaSnapThemAll

I’m interested in trying this and see how it interacts with OpenCL offload on AMD graphics my wife is using.

1 Like

I can’t use GPU render on blender-tpaw, can anyone confirm if it is possible with this one?

1 Like

Thx for your snap, are you planning to update it? Maybe share the snapcraft file so someone can keep it up.

2 Likes

Also the license is incorrectly reported to be Proprietary (use snap info blender) and there’s no value in the contact field.

@extraymond Yes, I plan to keep it up-to-date. I’m holding back 2.79a because there were several regressions on it. They are working on 2.79b now and plan to release it very soon. I’ll update directly to that instead.

@Ads20000 It’s actually unspecified. We’re still sorting through the license specification details.

Hi, I have installed blender with sudo snap install blender - - classic, but the icon does not appear in the application menu, I had to make it run typing in the terminal sudo blender. is that intentional? Or some bug? I am using linuxmint 18.3, cinnamon, 64 bits.

Hi, noticed Blender https://snapcraft.io/blender is licensed “Proprietary”,

This is incorrect, Blender is GPL3 https://www.blender.org/about/license

It’s a presentation issue that is being fixed right now. Licenses are being incorrectly reported as proprietary when they are unset. We’re fixing that, and also improving the way that licenses are specified in general.

More details here:

1 Like

Thx for your reply! It’s nice to know it’s being worked on.
Blender is an open source rock-star, deserves its license to be stated right XD

@niemeyer it seems your blender is not visible on software center. It still possible to install through CLI…
Also not visible on applications after install
Double clicking a .blend file doesn’t open in blender

3 Likes

@niemeyer @tomascw Kudos, unfortunately we were unable to find your public repositories so created our own for inclusion with Blender. Perhaps we can combine efforts?

@ideasman42 Should we submit a patch to https://devtalk.blender.org or is there a better/preferred channel?

Many thanks in advance.

@niemeyer an update to 2.79b would be appreciated!

2 Likes

and a 2.8 in the beta channel too :wink:

2.79b is in, a more recent 2.80 is in, screenshots are in, icons are in… everything is in.

Please let me know how it goes.

2 Likes

After current beta 2.80-bf9904ec8018 (27) starts, no other application is able to play sound.

The application menu icon is broken for this snap. If the user corrects it - by overriding the Icon= field to simply pick “blender” it gets broken again when the snap updates.