Avahi and cups-control interfaces for highlighterpdf

Hi

I would like to request the avahi-control interface and the cups-control interface for my app “highlighterpdf” as they are essential for its operation.

Thanks

highlighterpdf is an application to annotate pdf files, correct? Whilst I can see an argument for cups-control to be auto-connected as users may expect to print their annotated pdfs, I do not understand why avahi-control would be required at all - can you please explain why you believe these are essential for its operation?

Yes I think you are right I only used the avahi interface because the person helping me said I need to install the interface connection when I run it.
But it does need the cups-control as printing is one of its main functions to print the an noted pdf files.

i only own a network printer and when i tested the app i had to enable avahi-control to make it find the printer, cups-control might be enough for local ones i guess (but can not test this)

@Gerry if you own a local printer, can you run sudo snap disconnect highlighterpdf:avahi-control, try to print and watch your system journal for “DENIED” messages while you do this ? that should show if it works fine without errors even when not using avahi-control.

Hi Ogra

it does not come up with “DENIED” in the terminal while printing and works perfectly.
Is that ok?

yeah, you can drop avahi-control from the auto-connection request … (i’d still keep it in the snapcraft.yaml as is so network printers can be made to work, not sure what @alexmurray thinks though (i’m not a reviewer))

Thanks for your help Ogra

so on Ogra’s advice I would just like permission for the cups-control interface please

If you need to be able to discover devices over avahi, then avahi-observe should be enough (not avahi-control)- however, in this case it should be cups doing the discovering on behalf of applications, so I assume for this snap, only cups-control should be required (ie so it can talk to cups for printing, regardless of where the printer is located).

+1 from me for cups-control for highlighterpdf - printing would be an expected operation for a pdf viewer / annotater like this.

does that it mean it has passed and i can load it up to the store now and it will print?

you will need a second review from someone else, then someone will add the override to the store to actually enable the auto-connection and he/she will notify you here on this thread …

hi I can someone please help me I need a second review of my app highlighterpdf. It edits pdf’s and need cups control as printing is one of its main functions.
Thanks

@reviewers can you please vote on this request?

+1 for auto-connection of cups-control. This is expected functionality from a pdf editor.

2 votes for, 0 against. Granting. This is now live.