Automatic alias request for terraform

Hello all,

My snap https://snapcraft.io/terraform-abacao

Basicly is a snap of the binary terraform that Hashicorp provides.

I’m here to request the use of the alias “terraform” until my app goes dead and someone (or Hashicorp) do a better release from it.

There are other snaps in the store for terraform but all besides mine, are at least 1 year old and a old version of the app.

I’m a big n00b with this “snapping thing” and I’m available to correct mistakes and to improve the snap.

Thank you for the time building this!

2 Likes

@popey can you help here?

~$ snap find terraform
Name                       Version        Publisher       Notes  Summary
terraform-abacao           0.11.10        abacao          -      build, change, and version infrastructure safely and efficiently
terraform-snap             master         terraform-snap  -      Terraform snap app
terraform-provider-zabbix  master         terraform-snap  -      build, change, and version infrastructure safely and efficiently
terraform                  v0.10.0        nhandler        -      build, change, and version infrastructure safely and efficiently
terragrunt                 0+git.ae675d6  terraform-snap  -      build, change, and version infrastructure safely and efficiently

It’s a mess.

Can we clean things up?

1 Like

I’m not able to clean that mess. I’m only the “owner” of the first one.
@popey @chipaca What do I need to do to be able to have the alias?

Ping @nhandler as he is the owner of the terraform snap and may be willing to update it or hand it over to an active developer.

1 Like

Thank you. I’ve sent him a message. Will keep this post updated!

1 Like

No luck with the first message. Sent a second one!

Hi there @popey

Until when do you think we should wait for a response?

Hi! Sorry for the delay. I had previously moved the snap source code over to https://github.com/elopio/hashicorp-snaps , which used to have a pipeline capable of publishing new versions of the Snap. But regardless, I’ll get you an updated Snap within the next week or so. As for transferring the alias, I’m not sure if that is the best route forward in this case. I am, however, more than happy to see it co-maintained, but I think we might need some help from @elopio to flip some bits.

Hey @nhandler.

If you are keeping the snap updated, the alias should be attached to your snap, not mine.

The travis build started failing some time ago:

We can update it there, or transfer it somewhere else. As you prefer, just let me know what should I do.

pura vida

1 Like

I’m quite sure that the same alias can apply to multiple snaps…?

Anyway if you can co-op there’s no reason to keep two snaps without actual code differences.

We can/should sort out that pipeline. But regardless, I spent some time the other day updating the snap to be capable of building the latest stable version of Terraform. After some testing, I updated the version in the store.

I’m unclear on the status of this request. Are terraform-abacao and terraform now working together?

Hi everyone :slight_smile:

Sorry to bump an old thread… I was talking today with @sergiusens about the possibility of getting some of the Hashicorp products maintained as part of snapcrafters. I’m content to pick up maintaining at least terraform, and it certainly wouldn’t be much effort to do the same for others like consul, vault, etc.

@nhandler are you intending on maintaining the terraform snap, or would you be happy to release the name?

1 Like