Auto-Connect Request: Slack External Config

Hi all! This is a request for auto-connect for Slack’s strict confinement snap, for the following interfaces:

• etc-slack-desktop-conf: A system files interface that connects to /etc/slack-desktop.conf

To provide a quick summary: Slack allows admins to create a custom external config, that lets them set custom parameters for their Slack app. We initially had this set as a layout rather than a plug - however, the file will sometimes update or not exist, and we wanted to handle those use cases by reading from the file path directly.

If you have any questions or need more information about the plug, please let me know, very happy to provide it. Thanks!

+1 from me for auto-connect system-files using the iface reference etc-slack-desktop-conf to get read access to /etc/slack-desktop.conf since the snap is the clear owner of such file. Can other @reviewers please vote?

Slack is generally user-specific, isn’t it? To the user that has launched it? I’m confused why you would want/need access to a system-wide config. What if there are multiple users on that system? There might be multiple instances of slack running at once, each for a different user, logged into different workspaces. Wouldn’t you want this config to be user-specific?

I’d imagine it like /etc/firefox/policies or the chromium equivalent to set some global defaults an admin can configure network or system wide (global proxies, restrictions to limit user configs on a system level, etc)

+1 from me as well for the auto-connect request, the owner and requirements are clear.

Thanks all, really appreciate the fast responses!

I’d imagine it like /etc/firefox/policies or the chromium equivalent to set some global defaults an admin can configure network or system wide

Yes, this is exactly the use case. @kyrofa, for added context, this is for a new external configuration feature specifically for admins to set the same permissions or attributes for Slack instances for multiple users (e.g. access to specific workspaces, etc). The admin configuration requires the system-wide config. :bowing_woman:

2 Likes

Excellent, thank you for the response @khammond. +1 for auto-connecting slack’s read access to /etc/slack-desktop.conf.

+3 votes for, 0 votes against. Granting auto-connect for plugging system-files with read access to /etc/slack-desktop.conf using the iface reference etc-slack-desktop-conf to slack. This is now live.