Accents in KDE snaps

Hi there! I can’t type accentuated characters (áéíóúü…) in KDE snaps like Okular and Kate, the accent doesn’t appear, just the plain character (aeiou…). I can copy accented characters from other applications, though. This doesn’t happen in other snaps like Telegram or VScode (let alone in deb packages). I’ve seen there was a similar issue with Telegram a while ago (now fixed) and have tried to use some suggested workarounds for that case to no avail. This behavior is reported for Okular in the KDE bug tracking system but it doesn’t seem to be attracting much attention. That’s why I thought of asking here, in case someone can help fixing this.

I can confirm that this is the case. It outputs the following warning/error message when you attempt to type an accented character:

qt.xkb.compose: failed to create compose table

It attempts to read the following paths, so we possibly have an incomplete locale location override in the KDE framework snap:

[pid 925444] openat(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/share/X11/locale/locale.alias", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
[pid 925444] openat(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/share/X11/locale/locale.alias", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
[pid 925444] openat(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/share/X11/locale/locale.dir", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
[pid 925444] openat(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/share/X11/locale/locale.dir", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
[pid 925444] openat(AT_FDCWD, "/home/dllewellyn/snap/okular/90/.XCompose", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
[pid 925444] openat(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/share/X11/locale/compose.dir", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

Same problem here (Kubuntu 18.04 LTS) but only with telegram-desktop and spotify. The interesting is that slack is working fine and is also a snap application.

@lucyllewy thanks for testing, I linked to your debug information in the KDE report, but unfortunately no answers yet.

@worldsaint also happening with Spotify here! I hadn’t noticed. Could this mean it is not related to the KDE frameworks snap? Do you happen to have any specific KDE application snap such as Okular or Kate to test with it under Plasma? BTW, it doesn’t happen to me with telegram-desktop.

@Fernando
The accents on kate and Okular are fine to me.

Every other application works fine, btw. The breaks only happen on snaps from spotify and telegram-desktop, so far. The unusual is that slack is through snap and recognize the accents without problems. Other than that application, I have no other snap on my system.

@worldsaint you’ve got accents in Kate and Okular? Amazing. And they’re installed as snaps? If so, I’m completely lost since I thought that snaps where so isolated they wouldn’t work differently on different desktop environments.

@Fernando I believe you misunderstood me. I’ve never said that Okular and Kate are snaps…wich aren’t, by the way…I’ve only said that they work fine so it isn’t a Plasma problem…Also I don’t think it is a problem with Snapcraft…I believe it’s only on a feel snaps, where, in my case, are spotify and telegram-desktop.

Little update…I’ve install Skype and VSCode from snap and accents work fine. Although, Spotify and Telegram still have problems. I would like to know if you, @Fernando , can install these applications and test them. It will be a good thing to know 'cause we can start the search comparing these apps.

For me, accents do work in VSCode, Skype, and Telegram installed as snap packages, not in Spotify, though, as in Okular and Kate.

So it’s a random behavior far as I can tell. Perhaps it’s caused by some misconfiguration or someting else in KDE or Snap…it’s hard to tell. The strange thing is that the accents keys appears to be dead, which isn’t true cause other applications work fine.

In my case, Gnome had multiple keyboard layouts installed, one of them did not support accented characters and was enabled as a default for some applications. For me, it had nothing to do with snaps in general. Once I removed the additional keyboard layout from the configuration, everything went back to normal.