2.29 release cycle started

We branched the release/2.29 branch and the first 2.29~rc1 is already in the beta channel! Feedback and testing is very welcome.

More details and the timeline can be found here: The snapd roadmap.

Please let us know if you have any specific issues or questions about the 2.29 releases.

1 Like

A new snapd core with the 2.29 snapd is now in the beta channel. Please test and give us feedback! Once it passes QA we will push it to the candidate channel.

While Device cgroup is applied to devmode and classic snaps is not technically a regression in 2.29 (it is a regression in 2.27 -> 2.28+), IMO it should be fixed in 2.29 since 2.28+ udev handles exacerbates the problem with devmode snaps. Thankfully, the solution is simple (see the other thread).

Folks, 2.29 is now in candidate channel.

Please help testing this doing “snap refresh core --candidate”

Thanks

snap 2.29
snapd 2.29
series 16
ubuntu 16.04
kernel 4.10.0-38-generic

If I try to install or revert LibreOffice –classic:
error: cannot perform the following tasks:

• Make current revision for snap “libreoffice” unavailable (cannot write “/snap/libreoffice/31/meta/gui/base.desktop”: invalid exec command: “libreoffice5.4 --base”)

• Make snap “libreoffice” (37) available to the system (cannot write “/snap/libreoffice/37/meta/gui/base.desktop”: invalid exec command: “libreoffice5.4 –base”)

• Make snap “libreoffice” (38) available to the system (cannot write “/snap/libreoffice/38/meta/gui/base.desktop”: invalid exec command: “libreoffice5.4 –base”)

On core 2.28.5 is ok.

And:
10:38:43.770680 main.go:130: cannot change mount namespace of snap “libreoffice” according to change mount (/var/lib/snapd/hostfs/usr/local/share/fonts /usr/local/share/fonts none bind,xx): permission denied.

Can you please pastebin dmesg | grep DENIED when this happens? I’ll check it out after investigating two other issues.

If I run LibreOffice:

• apparmor=“DENIED” operation=“mount” info=“failed mntpnt match” error=-13 profile="/snap/core/3357/usr/lib/snapd/snap-confine//snap_update_ns" name="/usr/local/share/fonts/" pid=2640 comm=“5” srcname="/var/lib/snapd/hostfs/usr/local/share/fonts/" flags=“rw, bind”

• apparmor=“DENIED” operation=“open” profile="/snap/core/3357/usr/lib/snapd/snap-confine//snap_update_ns" name="/etc/localtime" pid=2640 comm=“5” requested_mask=“r” denied_mask=“r” fsuid=0 ouid=0
    = apparmor=“DENIED” operation=“mount” info=“failed mntpnt match” error=-13 profile="/snap/core/3357/usr/lib/snapd/snap-confine//snap_update_ns" name="/usr/share/fonts/" pid=2640 comm=“5” srcname="/var/lib/snapd/hostfs/usr/share/fonts/" flags=“rw, bind”

• apparmor=“DENIED” operation=“mount” info=“failed mntpnt match” error=-13 profile="/snap/core/3357/usr/lib/snapd/snap-confine//snap_update_ns" name="/var/cache/fontconfig/" pid=2640 comm=“5” srcname="/var/lib/snapd/hostfs/var/cache/fontconfig/" flags=“rw, bind”

After i remove LO and reinstall (–candidate –classic) and now i can install but if I try to refresh to stable:
error: cannot perform the following tasks:

• Make snap “libreoffice” (21) available to the system (cannot write “/snap/libreoffice/21/meta/gui/base.desktop”: invalid exec command: “libreoffice5.3 –base”)

No new denied.

1 Like

Thank you for reporting that.

We have fixed this now and added an integration test to make sure they really work in practice.

2.29.3 was released to stable today. Thanks everybody who helped making this release possible! A proper forum announcement for 2.29 (as a new forum topic) will follow shortly.

1 Like

Might be some breakage here, ring any bells for anyone?

Yes, rings a bell, a new feature we are using in 2.29.3. Once we know what is going on we need to find out why it was not caught in tests, we have a “run snaps inside lxd” testing that should have caught this (if it is a general lxd releated issue).

Hey @mvo, I’m afraid we will need a 2.29.4 with:

snapd 2.29.4 and snapd-glib 1.29 have been submitted as updates in Fedora:

They should hit updates-testing within 24-48 hours. Please test and give feedback!

Thanks @zyga-snapd ! A new 2.29.4 with the fixes is in the beta channel now.

1 Like

Unless we hear regression reports for 2.29.4 which is in the candidate channel right now we will release 2.29.4 to stable on Monday (2017-12-04).

snapd 2.29.4 has been submitted to the stable updates repository in Fedora. It should become generally available in the next 24 hours or so.

1 Like