In progress: snapd 2.24

We are currently working on the release 2.24 of snapd.

The source tarball was released on 2017-04-11.
The binary release to stable channels and distributions is planned on 2017-04-24.

For this release we will need CE validation before the snap can go out to stable.

Implemented features:

The release annoucement is here: Released: snapd 2.24

2 Likes

We need at least this PRs merged in the release branch (will update this post if something is missing) in order to have the suite working for the validation on the boards:

Thanks!

Thanks! I added 2.24 milestones to all of those (but AFAICT they are all merged already).

@mvo, I really need to see the following PRs addressed (merged or superseded with merged PR) for snapd 2.24 for Fedora:

Also, if it is possible, it’d be great if it’d be possible to rework the vendorizing process so that it’s an overlay off the base tarball. That is, snapd-2.24.tar.gz could be overlaid with a snapd-2.24.govendor.tar.gz which includes the snapd-2.24/vendor/ folder tree and any other vendorized-specific files.

This would allow me to pull in both tarballs easily while making it completely optional to use it. For distributions like CentOS 7, where I’d need to use the vendorized tree because packaging Go libraries is infeasible, it would be extremely handy. It also makes it possible for me to be able to pull patches and apply them consistently, rather than having to edit them all the time (since the “hand-crafted” vendorized unified tarball differs from the tarball generated by GitHub that includes things like Git data, which I use because otherwise patches backported or made independently will not work).

What sort of problem is the current release tarball creating? It already includes the vendor/ directory, which means you don’t need to hand craft it and can already use that tree in CentOS. For cases you really don’t want the vendor/ tree – which may create issues due to version drift – you can just delete it.

See the 2.23.6 release details: Released: snapd 2.23.6

@mvo Would be good to have @pstolowski’s 3070 in as well, being discussed here.

For one, patches don’t cleanly apply to the regular release tarball, due to missing Git files. This may hopefully become less of a problem in the future, but for now, it’s an issue.

Thanks for your input! I marked all branches as 2.24, they are all very close AFAICT.

Hey! Shouldn’t this post be in the “Release” category?

1 Like

@ara I went back and forth on that. Moving there again.

@mvo I’ve merged #2932 and we also have some discussion going about core plug/slots which looks critical enough to be 2.24 material.

Do we have an ETA for 2.24 in --candidate?

We want it out today, the blocker currently is: Duplicate plug/slot names inside the core snap

Can you try to make sure that https://github.com/snapcore/snapd/pull/3162 makes it into snapd 2.24 as well? I can’t build the Fedora package without it.

Hey @Conan_Kudo, happy to pull it in if it is ready, right now tests are failing though.

@Conan_Kudo @mvo The change doesn’t work across different distributions. Libtool/autotools really suck. I am trying to find a different way right now.

Test results with the core snaps at beta:

2 Likes

Great, thanks Federico. Can we now begin the Candidate testing cycle?

snapd 2.24 is also pending push to Fedora testing updates repository:

Do we have a markdown-formatted set of notes that describe the changes from 2.23.6 to 2.24 that I could put into the update notes?

2 Likes

@JamieBennett yes, the retry on i386 was good http://paste.ubuntu.com/24362951/

Thanks a lot for pushing 2.24! I put the release notes in github Here are the release notes https://github.com/snapcore/snapd/releases/tag/2.24 and there is also an announcement draft here: Released: snapd 2.24